Author Topic: Lost ship  (Read 1370 times)

Offline joan

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
Lost ship
« on: Monday 20 March 17 13:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi I have an ancestor by the name of William Eyre he was born in 1834 in Brotherton Yorkshire and I can follow him up to his marriage in 1871.  He had a son in 1877 and I later found that his wife remarried and described herself as a widow.
 William was a mariner and I was told that he was the master of a vessel called "Alice" and that this ship went down in the North Sea in 1878 loaded with grain and that there were no survivors.  The Alice was on its way from Berwick to Yarmouth at the time.

However I cannot trace a ship by that name in spite of several searches can anyone suggest places that I can search for missing ships?

Offline Ellenmai

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Lost ship
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 March 17 13:58 GMT (UK) »
There is mention of William Eyre Master Mariner lost at sea 14th November 1878, Residence South Street, Goole on Family Search. The only ship I can find on that date was the Bessie that went down in the Hayle Estuary.  ???

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 March 17 15:15 GMT (UK) »
The only one I can find in 1878 is the Princess Alice and she was a passenger ship...here is a list of all shipwrecks for that year:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_shipwrecks_in_1878

Carol

CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 March 17 15:24 GMT (UK) »
It was the Alice (29209) missing since 14/11/78 per the Marine Deaths in BT159/2
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 March 17 15:30 GMT (UK) »
Per newspaper reports the Alice left Berwick for Yarmouth on 14 November 1878, loaded with barley, and was never seen again.

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 March 17 15:34 GMT (UK) »

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 20 March 17 15:59 GMT (UK) »
Great find Shaun  8) ...I couldn't find a newspaper report or even a mention of the ship  ::) I'll get my coat and go back the the photo Restoration Board  ::) ;D ;D ;D
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Online ShaunJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 20 March 17 17:31 GMT (UK) »
I couldn't find a newspaper report or even a mention of the ship

For newspaper reports on ships: if you know the ship name and the master's name just combine the two in your search as one is usually printed after the other. So in this case I just searched for "Alice Eyre".

Offline joan

• RootsChat Member
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 20 March 17 17:34 GMT (UK) »
Thank you I might have known that the experts at Rootschat would e able to assist, I just feel somewhat useless that I cannot find these bits of info myself despite searching high and lo.

Onceagain many thanks

Joan