Author Topic: Sudlows of Liverpool and Manchester  (Read 1134 times)

Offline suds

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Sudlows of Liverpool and Manchester
« on: Monday 20 March 17 13:59 GMT (UK) »
Hopefully rootschat will come to the rescue again.

Right, fingers crossed, here goes.

In my direct line the furthest back is Thomas Sudlow. The first certain documented reference that I have found to Thomas is his marriage to Frances Mercer. The following is misfiled under the name Ludlow in the Lancashire Online Parish Clerk:

Marriage: 5 Aug 1792 St Paul, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
Thomas Sudlow - Woolen Draper of Liverpool
Frances Mercer - Spinster of Liverpool
Witness: Henry Mercer; Edward Coventry
Married by Banns by: Henry Barton Minister
Register: Marriages 1773 - 1810, Page 97, Entry 384
Source: LDS Film 1656374

Thomas’ age is not absolutely clear but is derived by doing a subtraction of his age at death from the year of his death ie 1832 – 66 = 1765. I have not discovered Thomas’ place of birth although I have my suspicions. We know that Thomas had a brother because, in his will, he names his nephew John Sudlow of Manchester, attorney, as an executor. I should issue a warning now that the number of John Sudlows in this tale gets very confusing. I shall call the nephew John (M2) Sudlow because investigation shows that John (M2)’s father was also called John (M1).

John (M1) Sudlow was buried in Manchester and his gravestone exists. It notes that he died in 1811 aged 43. Therefore he was born circa 1768. So, we know that, when looking for the birth of Thomas or John, we are looking for a family with a Thomas and a John born in 1765 and 1768 respectively. Throughout my searches online I have only come across one instance where this occurs and that is in Plemonstall (later called Plemstall) in Cheshire, not far from Chester. It has not been possible for me to confirm the Plemonstall connection so I go back to my previous statement that the earliest documented reference to Thomas is his marriage.

The Sudlows in Manchester form an extensive family, many of them solicitors. My earliest confirmed sighting of John (M1) Sudlow is his memorial inscription from St. Mark’s, Cheetham, John (M2), the attorney is also buried there:

South Side : Here resteth the remains of John Sudlow who died 6 Oct 1811 aged 43 years and of Elizabeth his wife died 20 April 1824 aged 63 years . Also their daughters Mary and Elizabeth the former died on 29 Sept 1803 aged 11months and the latter on the 28 Oct 1804 aged 1 day.

North Side : In memory of John Sudlow of Manchester solicitor died 15 Nov 1848 aged 50 years Also of Frances his wife died Jan 2 1832 aged 33 years .Also of their two children Mary Elizabeth and William the former died on the 14 May 1830 aged 6 months and the latter 15 Dec 1831aged 4 years.

I suspect that John (M1) Sudlow is the John Sudlow who marries Elizabeth McGawley in Eccles on 20 January 1799. The parish record shows John as 30 years old.

The Manchester Directory for 1804 and up to 1808/9 years has:
SUDLOW John    Tobacconist            12 Howarth’s Gates

I suspect that this may be John (M1) Sudlow.

Now to my request for help.

There is a John Sudlow, tobacconist who marries Catherine Holland in Liverpool on 9 July 1792, they then appear to have a son

Baptism: 16 Jun 1793 St Mary the Virgin, Prescot, Lancashire, England
William Sudlow - Son of John Sudlow & Cathn.
    Born: 11 Apr
    Abode: Prescot
    Register: Baptisms 1766 - 1809, Page 122, Entry 24
    Source: LDS Film 1657583

Could this be John (M1) Sudlow? If so what happened to Catherine and William? I can find no record but perhaps a new set of eyes might spot something.

Here's hoping

Suds

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Sudlows of Liverpool and Manchester
« Reply #1 on: Monday 20 March 17 15:42 GMT (UK) »
No, this cannot be John Sudlow (M1) as he was born in 1768. However I have found a few more people for you to follow up on. Thomas Sudlow and Frances Mercer had a son born 11/6/1801 baptised 7/8/1801 called Thomas Mercer Sudlow. They were living in Harford Street at the time. They had a second son born 25/6/1808 baptised 20/7/1808 called William Sudlow. Parents are shown as Thomas and Frances Mercer. They had moved to Benson Street at this point. The William you mentioned who was born to John and Catherine appears to have died aged 6 months -buried in Prescot.  This info. is all on FreeREG along with many other Sudlow's.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline suds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 20 March 17 16:15 GMT (UK) »
paco

Thanks for your response. I think I may have phrased my question incorrectly.

I understand that John (M1) was born in 1768. My question was intended to query whether it was possible for the John Sudlow who had a son called William in 1793 to be the same John Sudlow who later married Elizabeth McGawley in Eccles in 1799.

I think you have taken me part way there by confirming that William Sudlow died at 6 months. If Catherine also died it would open up the possibility that he could marry for a second time.

Many thanks.

Regards

Suds

Offline suds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 20 March 17 18:01 GMT (UK) »
paco set me off, I'd negected freeREG.

When I searched I noted that William's death was registered in Huyton on 15 September 1793, and then there was the death of Mary Sudlow, suspiciously soon afterwards, on 4 October 1793.

The image on Ancestry says that Mary was 22 when she died. So, she could have been William's mother. The question then remains, can a connection be made between the Mary Sudlow who died and the Catherine Sudlow/Holland who married John Sudlow in 1792. I wonder if Mary could have been a pet name (hope exceeds expectation).

I've had a quick look and can see several Mary candidates but no Catharine candidates.

Regards

Suds

Offline goldy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 April 17 20:16 BST (UK) »
there is a Thomas and Mary have a son William on opc are you mixing the 2 ?
also this you mentioned Mercer?
Baptism: 20 Jul 1808 St Nicholas, Liverpool, Lancashire, England
William Sudlow - Son of Thomas Sudlow & Frances (formerly Mercer), His Wife
    Born: 25 Jun
    Abode: Benson Street
Cooper     Camberwell. Manchester
Callow        I.O.M.
Ellis, Heatley, Hayden,  Manchester
Mellings     Mertha

Offline suds

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 April 17 22:08 BST (UK) »
goldy

Thanks for your interest. It's quite possible that I'm mixed up.

My Thomas Sudlow married Frances Mercer and they had at least nine children:

Mary and Rachel (twins?) 1793
John 1794
Joseph 1796
Henry 1799
Thomas Mercer 1801
George 1803
Samuel 1806
William 1808

Thomas the father is variously a woollen draper, bookkeeper, cashier.

The Thomas from the Thomas and Mary that you note is a carter. I don't think they are the same man.

I'm still hopeful of making the connection from Thomas's brother John with the John who was a tobacconist in Prescot (part of Huyton)

Suds