Author Topic: Forces War Records .co.uk Continuation of IS IT A SCAM  (Read 3421 times)

Offline Still-looking

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Forces War Records .co.uk Continuation of IS IT A SCAM
« on: Tuesday 21 March 17 00:33 GMT (UK) »
Recently I saw this site advertised.
I opened it up and listed was my Father.
I clicked on his name and was told that in order to view those records I had to pay.

So, I paid.
I then clicked on the hyperlink again and his folder was empty.

So I contacted them and subsequently got into THE most frustrating email chain ever experienced.
Evidently you never speak to the same person twice and they clearly don't read the chain. So you get requests for information given 2 replies ago, ridiculous facts required, questions where you cannot possibly have the answer.

I believe this is all there to get you to give up ! and they have your money and IF you forget to cancel they just keep taking it. No refunds here my friends.

BEWARE and do not use them at all under any circumstances.
I needed my fathers service number from his records so my elderly mother can get some help from British Legion. NO HELP FROM THESE PEOPLE.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Forces War Records .co.uk Continuation of IS IT A SCAM
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Firstly, welcome to rootschat SL.  :)

There are a lot of people unhappy with this company, and claim that the information on this site which you need to pay for, is available elsewhere for free or as part of a (useful) subscription.

I am rightly or wrongly, assuming you are referring to WW2?

In order to obtain your father's service number there may be other avenues you can try - all of them are free. You could contact the medal office at Imjin Barracks in Gloucester to check on his medal entitlement. The correspondence you receive from them should give his service number - they may supply the service number to you anyway if you explain the reason you need it (this is just a guess on my part so may not be possible). This may be do-able via email.

You could apply for his service records but will need to provide identifying information such as date and place of birth. As your mother is still alive, she is entitled to his service records at no cost (it would cost you £30). You could do the form filling on her behalf and all she would need to do is sign the form.
https://www.gov.uk/get-copy-military-service-records/apply-for-someone-elses-records

Let us know if you need further information or advice on applying for records. I would have thought that the British Legion might have access to service numbers, but once again that is not based on any knowledge on my part (it just seems logical).  :)

There are plenty of military experts on rootschat who should be along soon to offer you further help, and correct any errors I may have made.  ;)

Offline barryd

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 03:08 GMT (UK) »
I only use two organizations that  I pay for. ScotlandsPeople and Durham Records Online. Both very reputable.

I have no experience with Forces War Records but there seems to be  lot of traffic on the Internet.

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=4332219

Offline Still-looking

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 04:46 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ruskie, the Medal route is one I certainly didn't think of and I'll do that asap.

Yes I would have thought the British Legion would have been connected right in there but they apparently had no joy.

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 06:48 GMT (UK) »
Are you saying that the British Legion tried to find his service number but were unable to do so?

Good luck with chasing it up SL. Let us know how you get on. :)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 07:39 GMT (UK) »
If you decide to apply to the MOD for his records although I believe the form asks for a service number you do not need it they will supply the records without it.
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Drew5233

• RootsChat Veteran
  • How Many Hours in Spits?
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 23:01 GMT (UK) »
I was a member of the British Legion being an ex-squaddie and they are just a military charity. They have no special privileges to access personal records held by the MOD.

I concur with your thoughts on that organisation. They even contacted me a few years ago to undertake research for them, whilst I was very tempted I declined in the end as they were living me with a bitter taste in my mouth seeing how they were making their money.

Offline BushInn1746

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • My Family's Links 19th Cent
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 23:47 GMT (UK) »
I needed my fathers service number from his records so my elderly mother can get some help from British Legion. ...

My understanding is, that if you are ex-Service, or spouse/widow or a dependent of ex-Service and need to check your Service information to make a formal application for assistance, grant, charitable help, you can check with the Veterans Agency, Blackpool.

Regards Mark