Author Topic: Haselden Family in Quebec  (Read 2391 times)

Offline lottieland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Haselden Family in Quebec
« on: Tuesday 21 March 17 13:08 GMT (UK) »
I am looking for family members of James and Mary Haselden who emigrated to Canada in 1923 from St Helens in Merseyside. Also went was Mary's brother James McManus. They resided in Verdun.  They had a daughter, Irene born in 1928 who married Kenneth Munn but divorced around 1957.
That's all the information I have right now of them in Canada. I do have there parents details in St Helens. Hope someone can help
Juliet McManus Sayer

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Haselden Family in Quebec
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 14:08 GMT (UK) »
1963 Voters' List in Verdun has James noted as a journalist.  The 1923 passenger record indicates that James was single at the time, aged 21. He names his parents, Annie and Eward in St. Helen's as his next of kin.  His father also paid for his passage.  I don't see Mary or her brother James on the same ship.

James and Mary were not married until September 19, 1927 at St. Mark Anglican Church in Montreal.  He was working as a printer, the son of Edward Haselden and Annie Lyon, and she the daughter of the late James McManus and his wife, Josephine McCormack, all of St. Helen's.  A William Edward Haselden and Margaret Haselden were witnesses to the marriage.  They were remarried in the Catholic Church on 9 August 1930 -- James was a baptized non Catholic.  Her brother James a witness to this marriage.

Irene Dorothy was born August 3, 1928 and baptized on the 26th at St. Thomas Anglican.  She was also baptized for a second time in the Catholic Church on August 10, 1930.

A brother, Robert Haseldon, was also married in the Catholic Church on January 15, 1931 to Mary Agnes Day.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 14:22 GMT (UK) »
Irene (aged 8 ) and her mother Mary (aged 32) travelled to the UK in 1937 on board the Duchess of York
They departed Montreal on May 01 1937 for Liverpool and returned on Jul 30 1937
They gave their UK address as 21 Whittle St, St. Helens

The divorce is documented as 1954 LINK
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline lottieland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 14:23 GMT (UK) »
Hi yes thanks for that but i have all those details  like i said in my original post. I am looking for living relatives
Juliet

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 14:54 GMT (UK) »
Your info was incomplete and dates were incorrect, so thought you needed some verification of all of that as well.  In 1957, James McManus and Irene Munn are living together in Verdun. In 1962, James is unemployed, and living with James & Mary Haselden in Verdun.  James H. is working as a pressman.  No sign of Irene, so she may have remarried.

Offline myluck!

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 15:07 GMT (UK) »
as said by eileenwilson the information was for clarification
Rootschat is not intended for locating the living but to search for ancestors
Privacy laws prevent recent records being both available and shared

Some one may be able to help and send you a Private Message if they locate family for you
Kearney & Bourke/ Johns & Fox/ Mannion & Finan/ Donohoe & Curley
Byrne [Carthy], Keeffe/ Germaine, Butler/ McDermott, Giblin/ Lally, Dolan
Toole, Doran; Dowling, Grogan/ Reilly, Burke; Warren, Kidd [Lawless]/ Smith, Scally; Mangan, Rodgers/ Fahy, Calday; Staunton, Miller
Further generations:
Brophy Coleman Eathorn(e) Fahy Fitzpatrick Geraghty Haverty Keane Keogh Nowlan Rowe Walder

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 23:36 GMT (UK) »
Hello lottieland. I see you are a relatively new member of RootsChat. Welcome  :)!

Is William Edward Hasenden one of your rellies also? If so, he apparenly had a son James in 1927 who may have left descendents. Wife Margaret.

There are only 5 listings with that last name in all of Canada at this link to the telephone directory. Contacting them may turn up a living relative for you. Enter just the last name, no location.

http://www.canada411.ca

It is very difficult to find information in the time frame you are looking at due to privacy laws. One needs to look for info from things like newspapers. A Montreal directory entry indicates that both James and Robert worked for the Gazette, a local newspaper. It would be a long haul, but this newspaper has online archives you could look through for any info. Click browse this newspaper.

https://news.google.ca/newspapers?nid=Fr8DH2VBP9sC&dat=19330508&printsec=frontpage&hl=en

This is a link to the Directory....start at Lovell, then Montreal et sa banlieue, then serie principale, choose a year, and look for something like residents alphabetique. The directory itself is actually in English but the getting there is mostly in French. And it is very fiddly. Affichage plein ecran at the top of a directory page will bring up the full page.

http://bibnum2.bnquebec.ca/bna/lovell/

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline lottieland

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 10:54 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much!  James Haselden is my aunt's husband. It does say on the telephone directory i have saved on ancestry that he was a pressman so it makes sense! i thought it was ironing. I will look into that. thank you. its been a great help.
Juliet

Offline Buffnut453

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 August 19 19:24 BST (UK) »
Just came across this thread.  I'm also related to the Haseldens who moved to Quebec.  James was one of 3 brothers who emigrated, the others being Robert and William Edward.  Their father, Edward, was one of my Great-Great Uncles. 

I grew up in St.Helens and am always on the lookout for Haselden connections wherever they occur.

Sincerely,
Mark Haselden