Author Topic: My dads army service records  (Read 2108 times)

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My dads army service records
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 16:32 BST (UK) »
The poster has allowed me to see the records direct.  I am sure your advice re photos will be of great use in the future (and not just to her - I have had the same problem myself so thank you for the hints both!!).

For interest, Father served in UK 1941-1944.  Among others CPP was Corps Petroleum Platoon, 310 was indeed 310 Armoured Brigade Company RASC (RASC support to 5th Guards Armoured Brigade) with whom he went to France in July 1944 and remained with RASC units of the Guards Armoured Division and later 12 Corps until war's end in Aug 45.  Belsen was reached by units of 11 Armoured Division in 12 Corps which is of a piece with him being in that area.  He was transferred to 3 Infantry Div and sent to Egypt for duty in Palestine.  HRM is Higher Rate Messing [allowance] while on leave.  (Easier to interpret the originals of course as you've observed RRTB).

maxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline Gsdenmark

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: My dads army service records
« Reply #10 on: Friday 07 April 17 11:15 BST (UK) »
Many thanks to everyone for advice etc. I've now with the help of Max been able to decipher my dads records.