Author Topic: How can I find where my ancestor worked in Birmingham from c.1896-1915?  (Read 1673 times)

Offline Luke ???

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
I (sort of) know his employer's name, 'Mr. Bolli', and his actual occupation, Glass Blower.

Where would I start with that information?

Offline Stanwix England

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Hopeless scatterbrain
    • View Profile
Re: How can I find where my ancestor worked in Birmingham from c.1896-1915?
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 20:51 GMT (UK) »
What do you know about him?

I'm assuming from your post that you've seen his occupation on a census form? Is that where you got the Mr Bolli information from?

My suggestions would be to try historic newspapers and see if you can find a mention of either your ancestor or this Mr Bolli. It might be that he placed adverts in the paper which could give you some clues.

He might also be mentioned in trade directories. Perhaps they might be at Birmingham archives?

http://www.libraryofbirmingham.com/archives

;D Doing my best, but frequently wrong ;D
:-* My thanks to everyone who helps me, you are all marvellous :-*

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 20:59 GMT (UK) »
If he is in the 1911 census then he may have entered the firms name. What is his name?

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Luke ???

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 22:13 GMT (UK) »
What do you know about him?

I'm assuming from your post that you've seen his occupation on a census form? Is that where you got the Mr Bolli information from?

My suggestions would be to try historic newspapers and see if you can find a mention of either your ancestor or this Mr Bolli. It might be that he placed adverts in the paper which could give you some clues.

He might also be mentioned in trade directories. Perhaps they might be at Birmingham archives?

http://www.libraryofbirmingham.com/archives

His name is Frank Carroll. He was born on 18/08/1885. I got the Mr Bolli info from his army service record dated 17/10/1900.

Frank lived on New John Street, and Mr Bolli lived on Pritchett Street, so they were pretty close to each other.

Offline Luke ???

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 22:15 GMT (UK) »
If he is in the 1911 census then he may have entered the firms name. What is his name?

Stan
I don't think Frank Carroll, my ancestor or Mr Bolli is in the 1911 Census, and I've tried looking.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 21 March 17 22:19 GMT (UK) »
There's a thread about the Bimingham glass blowers on this page where one employer's name mentioned is "Bowly"

link

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jrc/

P.S. Have just seen a list of company names in London Gazette where it's shown as "Bowley & Co", Birmingham, glass cutters.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Thornwood

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 09:36 GMT (UK) »
Try posting on the Birmingham Forum website.  I've found it very useful.

Offline Gardener

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 13:37 GMT (UK) »

Stan
I don't think Frank Carroll, my ancestor or Mr Bolli is in the 1911 Census, and I've tried looking.

Is Frank perhaps living with his "aunt" Minnie Brittain in 1911? She would be his wife's aunt I think, on her second marriage. There is an Albert Carroll aged 6 there as well.

Or is that the wrong guy altogether?
Rose (Black Country),Downs (Black Country),Wolloxall (any and all),Bark (Derbyshire),Wright (Derbyshire),Marsden (Derbyshire), Wallace (Black Country)

All census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Luke ???

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 24 March 17 23:23 GMT (UK) »

Stan

Is Frank perhaps living with his "aunt" Minnie Brittain in 1911? She would be his wife's aunt I think, on her second marriage. There is an Albert Carroll aged 6 there as well.

Or is that the wrong guy altogether?

It's not him. This Frank was born in Sheffield, unlike mine.
Although coincidentally he did have a son called Albert, born in the same year.