Author Topic: Definition of "leading stones"  (Read 769 times)

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Definition of "leading stones"
« on: Wednesday 22 March 17 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Help!  Fruitless Googling on this one.  Often appears in church vestry accounts, for Getting and Leading Stones.
I am guessing it means transporting but I would like to be sure.
Thanks!
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Definition of "leading stones"
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 22:34 GMT (UK) »
Gosh, I haven't heard "leading" for decades.  I used to help lead bales of hay on a Yorkshire farm when I was young.  We collected a bale of hay by spearing it with a pitchfork then tossing the bale onto the back of a slow moving open wagon.  We carried on  like that until all the bales had been collected and moved/lead/transported to the place where it was to be stored.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 22:57 GMT (UK) »
Yes, I too used to lead wood, straw, hay etc when working on estates in North and East Yorkshire,

I haven't heard it anywhere else. It just means transporting.

Offline Mike in Cumbria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 23:04 GMT (UK) »

lead v. 

to carry or convey something in a cart or other vehicle   

< OE. lǣdan (to lead, guide, carry)

http://www.yorkshiredialect.com/words/L.htm

Offline Claire64

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 March 17 23:15 GMT (UK) »
Ah, thank you!  Coming from Yorkshire, I should have known that!  Thanks again!
Pearson (Bradwell Dby & Stocksbridge)
Donkersley
Crawshaw (Bradfield)
Evans (Bradwell Dby and Stocksbridge)
Crossley (Penistone)
Rogers (Nottinghamshire & Stocksbridge)
Poynton / Pointon (Derbyshire)
Day (Barnsley WRY and Iowa USA)
Scargill (Barnsley)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 23 March 17 11:46 GMT (UK) »
Gosh, I haven't heard "leading" for decades.  I used to help lead bales of hay on a Yorkshire farm when I was young.  We collected a bale of hay by spearing it with a pitchfork then tossing the bale onto the back of a slow moving open wagon.  We carried on  like that until all the bales had been collected and moved/lead/transported to the place where it was to be stored.

On holiday in Dentdale in about 1971 at haymaking time we were chatting to a farmer's wife. After a few minutes she excused herself from the conversation because '...we've a lot of hay to lead today'.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 23 March 17 15:34 GMT (UK) »
Oooh! makes me feel really dim. I immediately read it as meaning obtaining stones, and leadwork - the metal!! All in the way one's brain pronounces it, I suppose - "Leed" rather than "Led" I'd have gone completely off on a wrong track there.
-And I'm Yorkshire too! (Goes off to stand quietly in the corner with a pointy hat on head marked with 4th letter of alphabet)
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 24 March 17 11:54 GMT (UK) »

(Goes off to stand quietly in the corner with a pointy hat on head marked with 4th letter of alphabet)

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Lol, saw a lot of that when I was at school - usually the same cheeky little lad had to wear it
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke