Author Topic: Earlier Census  (Read 840 times)

Offline macrote

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Earlier Census
« on: Thursday 23 March 17 18:25 GMT (UK) »
First post.  I am part way into setting up a couple of family trees, one for my Mother's ancestors, the other for my Dad's. I found the FreeCEN files really helpful, even though they are incomplete. However, I do not know where to look for similar information about households, pre 1841. I read through the beginners help files, and got a bit lost in the details. Could someone please point me to a source of census information for the late 1700s and early 1800s? Many thanks!

-macrote

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Earlier Census
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 23 March 17 18:41 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to RootsChat
Censuses were carried out in 1801,1811, 1821, and 1831, however the 1841 Census is the first one that is of any practical use for family history research, some lists of names from some censuses before 1841 were kept and have survived but only in a rare number of cases.
See https://familysearch.org/wiki/en/England_Census#Pre-1841_Census
Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The light is on but there's no-one at home!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 23 March 17 18:45 GMT (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat -

You may also find this link useful for information on census records.  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/help-with-your-research/research-guides/census-records/

Read around the boards on Rootschat that interest you, a bit daunting now there are so many  :D but I'm sure that you will find lots of help with your research and interests.
All census lookups are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Sussex - Knapp. Nailard. Potten. Coleman. Pomfrey. Carter. Picknell
Greenwich/Woolwich. - Clowting. Davis. Kitts. Ferguson. Lowther. Carvalho. Pressman. Redknap. Argent.
Hertfordshire - Sturgeon. Bird. Rule. Claxton. Taylor. Braggins

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 23 March 17 18:53 GMT (UK) »
 Census schedules and listings, 1801—1831: an introduction and guide
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jrz/

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline macrote

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 23 March 17 21:34 GMT (UK) »
Stan and Suey, many thanks for the rapid and helpful responses. Looks like I have a considerable amount of reading in front of me!

- macrote

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 24 March 17 13:53 GMT (UK) »
There are also a number of "quasi-censuses", usually very localised and only carried out on a one-off basis, which have come into existence for a variety of reasons.

For instance, following the Great Fire of Potton in 1783 (which destroyed about half the town), there was a nationwide appeal to establish a relief fund, which eventually paid out 16s in the £ on most uninsured loss claims - which isn't a bad dividend.

The accounting for the fund has survived, and provides a snapshot of the inhabitants of Potton in 1783 - or, at least, of those who suffered uninsured losses. You get their name and occupation, the loss they claimed to have suffered and the dividend that was paid to them. I have one direct ancestor and one other near relative listed there.

As with all historical records, it is important to understand what the record actually is, and when, why, how and by whom it was made, in order properly to construe its meaning.

There are many other such local one-off lists of inhabitants, and they can all be useful in telling us something about our ancestors' lives.
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright

Offline macrote

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 24 March 17 16:37 GMT (UK) »
JBML, thanks for the extra details. As with many other aspects of life, I'll soon have to make some decisions about just how far I want to explore some of the branches in my family tree. Clearly this could become a major occupation!

- macrote