Author Topic: Granddads records  (Read 2770 times)

Offline missmuddle

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Granddads records
« on: Saturday 25 March 17 18:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi All, I have been researching my family for several years but try as hard as I can, I cannot find anything about my granddads service history. I have all his brothers but nothing about him except a lovely picture of him on horseback. I believe he was in the Herts Yeomanry. His name is Lionel Albert Archer born 3.7.1896 in Sawbridgeworth. I know about the destroyed records in 1940 bombing raid, but with the army usually doing everything in triplicate there must be something somewhere. Would there be records held at the enlistment station ? where would they be kept?. We believe he was gassed & posted missing turning up a couple of weeks later at a dressing station. Would there be hospital records, where are they kept? or should I say hidden, both my sister & I keep looking but coming up blank. He is not the one in the Manchester reg. with the same name. Any suggestions please.

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Granddads records
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 25 March 17 19:13 GMT (UK) »
Herts Yeomanry 1/1 Batt served overseas in  Gallipoli,Egypt and Middle East for duration of war
2/1 Batt didn't go overseas.
Could he have been transferred to Manchester Regiment? It's a really uncommon name so if he went overseas he should have a medal card ...could he have served as Albert ?

Ady
Lowe(Lower Gornall-Castleford)
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)
Tallon (Whittington Lancs/Hartshead West Yorkshire)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline missmuddle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 25 March 17 19:34 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Ady, I've checked the one for Manchester rgt. & all the details are wrong. D of B, parents names etc. I will try and post photo in case we have the wrong unit. 

Offline missmuddle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 25 March 17 20:09 GMT (UK) »
LionelAlbert

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 25 March 17 20:50 GMT (UK) »
2 X Wound badges and long service chevron so he definately served overseas he also has a mourning button so has recently lost a family member ...brother?

Hopefully cap badge can be identified

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Researching all Great War soldiers from the Spen Valley of West Yorkshire Especially lads from the Cleckheaton Company of 1/4th West Riding Regiment.

Offline missmuddle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 25 March 17 22:35 GMT (UK) »
He lost 2brothers one died Nov 1918 at shornclif hospital of flu. That has given me hope of finding something at least I know he did service overseas. One brother was queens royal west surrey rgt died 1917. His step brother was killed in Egypt. Thank you

Offline jess5athome

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dad,20/10/1934 - 27/07/2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 25 March 17 23:17 GMT (UK) »
Hi, with a bit of imagination (angle of photograph etc) the cap badge in the photograph "Could" possibly be the cap badge of the Hertfordshire Yeomanry  :-\

I'm sure others will have input to your thread to agree or disagree with me  :)

see attached link.

Frank.

http://www.hertfordshire-genealogy.co.uk/images/!/hertfordshire/military/herts-yeo_albert_evans.jpg

Ramsey Ridsdale Ridgway Kempen Knight Harrison Denby Sisson Graney Spilsbury Wain Hebden Abbott Skinn ........ Yorkshire (Doncaster Goole Snaith Thorne area)Lincolnshire Nottinghamshire The Netherlands

Offline mmm45

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 26 March 17 02:08 BST (UK) »
Can you give brothers details please, Could he have used stepfathers name to enlist with ?

Ady
Blackburn (Castleford)
Sidwell(Ledsham)
Fairburn(Hartshead)
Wood(Liversedge)

Offline missmuddle

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 26 March 17 09:46 BST (UK) »
Hi Ady,
Thank you family details as follow.
Father Albert John Archer warrant officer Herts Rgt. 2/1

Lionel Albert eldest son

Percy died 1926

Gordon Sidney, known as Sidney. enlisted London No.G/4974 Queens Royal West Surrey Regt. 1st Batt. KIA 17/2/16 at. Cambrin. ag 17.
very sad little cemetery behind the mayors house next to a builders yard on the outskirts of town.

Stanley John enlisted 20th April 1914. ag 17 1st Batt Herts rgt. Transferred to Herts Yeo. then Dorset Yeo. Corps of Dragoons, back to Herts Yeo. transferred to RAF died 7/11/18 at Shorncliff Hospital Flu.

Stepbrother Albert Holgate (mothers maiden name) also used Robert Halliday (fathers name) no marriage has been found,( he had a sister Florence also used Holgate or Halliday).
Albert/Robert Herts Yeo 1/1 died 24/12/18 Egypt.

When Albert John married Rebecca Holgate she was down as spinster.