Author Topic: What information can I get from a photo?  (Read 1541 times)

Offline do137

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: What information can I get from a photo?
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 26 March 17 08:48 BST (UK) »

I would say the, Warwickshire Regiment (top photo - no definition of wings on cap badge) and the shoulder title is that of the size of Warwickshire Regiment, East Kent being the "Buffs" is much smaller.

The crossed Rifles indicate being a standard of marksman, although being early in the war not specified as a sniper (and not having a sight on rifle).

As for the one on the Horse, if it is the same person? it looks like he has the same cap badge?
My first thought was him having a pose on a horse or looking after one of the officers mount, but he is clearly wearing mounted bandalier, and has breeches and putties on with spurs? so clearly has a mounted roll. Any Name and details to check as he may have worked for some other unit but retained his cap badge etc. 
Liverpool - Doyle / Smaje
Holland - Smaje

Offline Lisajj

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Exhall Colliery & Brickworks - very rare photo
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 26 March 17 08:49 BST (UK) »
The man is William Frederick Smith born 18 April 1900 in Coventry. He survived the war and eventually moved to Blackpool. I may have met him when I was a child but I don't remember- he was always referred to as Uncle Bill in Blackpool. He was my Nan's eldest brother. I don't think he had any children.
Johnson, Crankshaw, Burdett, Shaw, Dawson/Dulson, Whitebread/Whitbread, Drane, Hyett, Holtaway, Thompson, Bodell, Livermore, Gee, Vernon, Smith......the list goes on....and on...and on....

Offline alan o

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 09 May 17 09:47 BST (UK) »
The soldier in the first picture is Royal Warwickshire - the badge is distinctive and the curved shoulder title confirms it.  He is not a regular soldier but is wearing P14 leather webbing equipment which was introduced as a stop gap measure until production of the 1908 pattern canvas webbing caught up.  The leather pouches and buckle are distinctive.  He is not wearing territorial titles so you might consider this to be a war-raised service battalion: which ties in with the leather equipment. The leather equipment was very unpopular and soon discarded so this is a 1915/early 16 photo.

The Royal Warcs were not mounted so either he has borrowed a horse, transferred regts or that is not him in the 3rd photo.  Horses were used by the infantry support companys for carts to draw eqpt so you do get photos of infantrymen with spurs and riding reaches if they were I this role.