Author Topic: Daniel McLaughlin of Magilligan, Derry b abt 1837-41  (Read 1038 times)

Offline ladyk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Daniel McLaughlin of Magilligan, Derry b abt 1837-41
« on: Monday 27 March 17 02:54 BST (UK) »
I know that Daniel McLaughlin is an incredibly common name, especially in this part of Northern Ireland! However, I'm trying to find more information on one Daniel McLaughlin from that part of Ireland. Others who have him on their trees have his birth date anywhere from 1835 to 1841, no exact location.

He married Elizabeth Cummins/Cummings, born about 1844, also Londonderry, but again, no specifics for sure. (she could be dau of Daniel Cumming and Agnes Connell b June 1844 Magilligan).

Their children, however, are well documented, so I'm hoping that a clue to Daniel can come from them. Birth and baptismal records I found on rootsireland are as follows:

Dominic b Nov 1866/ bapt Dec 1866 Ballycarton - Tamlaghtard/ sponsors: John O' Leree (?) and Eliza Cummings

Hannah b Jul 1868 Kilbarchan, Renfr. Scotland (not sure why she was born in Scotland, but pretty sure this is their child)

Jane b Dec 1870/ bapt Dec 1871 - Ballycarton, Magilligan - Tamlaghtard/ sponsors: John McLaughlin and James Mrs. McLaughlin (that's what it said)

Mary Anne b May 1872 Ballarena, Derry/ bapt May 1872 - Ballycarton, Tamlaghtard/ sponsors: Patrick McIvor & Mary Ann Gwin

Daniel b Jun 1874 Ballarena/ bapt Jun 1874 Tamlaghtard/ sponsors: John Coghlan & Elizabeth Cummings

Elizabeth b Aug 1876 Ballycarton, Aghanloo parish (father Daniel listed as "laborer")/ bapt Aug 1876 Tamlaghtard/ sponsors: Eliza Cummings & Patrick McIvor/ Roman Catholic/ parish = Magilligan

At least Dominic and Mary Anne emigrated to America as adults.

I would love to find out who Daniel's parents were and any siblings he may have had. So far, no luck! Daniel's death was 15 Aug 1877. His wife Elizabeth died also in 1877, so they left a family of young children.

Any ideas?

K

Scotland: Reid

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Daniel McLaughlin of Magilligan, Derry b abt 1837-41
« Reply #1 on: Monday 27 March 17 09:33 BST (UK) »

Hannah b Jul 1868 Kilbarchan, Renfr. Scotland (not sure why she was born in Scotland, but pretty sure this is their child)

Lots of people from Co Derry and adjacent counties went to Scotland to work.  The employment prospects there were better than in Ireland and it was easy and cheap to get to.

The Scottish birth certificate should state where and when the parents married, so that would be a way of confirming you have the right parents.
Elwyn

Offline ladyk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 27 March 17 10:37 BST (UK) »
Good idea! I will check Scotland's People for that!
K

Offline ladyk

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 27 March 17 11:18 BST (UK) »
Yes, it does confirm the record I had, that Hannah McLaughlin was the child of Daniel and Elizabeth Cummins. It also gives a marriage date (11 Feb 1866), which I did not have! Thanks for the thought!

K

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 27 March 17 11:47 BST (UK) »
Hi, The Griffiths Valuation (1858) of the townland of Ballycarton shows two McLaughlin (the spelling varies) families renting houses. They were James and John McLaughlin. In 1875 John vacates his tenancy and it is taken over by a Daniel McLaughlin.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim