Author Topic: What was the maiden name of Herbert Hepdens wife Anne and when did they marry?  (Read 651 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Herbert/Harbert Hepdon was buried in 1636 at Brightling.  In his will he mentions  his wife Anne and two children Anne and John.

Anne his wife marries again a year after Herbert passed away.

Herbert was baptised 1596 in Burwash son of Thomas Hepden and Mary Harmer.  His first child John was baptised in Jul  1631 and his daughter Anne was baptised in Jan  1635-1636.

Herbert was about 39 when he died.

However I am unable to locate the marriage between Herbert and Anne and would love some assistance.

Westy

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: What was the maiden name of Herbert Hepdens wife Anne and when did they marry?
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 15:47 BST (UK) »
I can't find the marriage on SFHG' SMI nor A****ry or FamilySearch. 

In case you haven't got it, Anne's subsequent marriage was to George Litle (transcribed spelling) on 11 Sep 1837 at Brightling after an Archdeaconry of Lewes Marriage Licence to George Little and Anne Hepden granted on 7 Sep 1837.

There was a Harbert Hepden s/o Goddert Hepden baptised at Burwash on 20 Dec 1601 but seems too late for your Harbert?

There was also  John Hepden s/o Harbert baptised at Brightling on 17 Jul 1631.  This John could be the son of the Herbert baptised in 1596 or the Harbert s/o Goddert?

Offline artifis

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: What was the maiden name of Herbert Hepdens wife Anne and when did they marry?
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 16:00 BST (UK) »
Just checked the baptisms on SFHG and John's baptism recorded his father as Harbert on 17 Jul 1631 and Anne's fathers surname as Hebden in the Bishop's Transcripts Parish Records and her father's name as Harbert.

Are you certain that Anne was the daughter of Harbert baptised in 1596 and not the Harbert baptised in 1601?

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 29 March 17 23:54 BST (UK) »
Hello artis,

John Hepden and Joan Wenham had at least 5 children two of whom [Goddard and Anne Fry & Thomas and Mary Harmer] named sons Herbert/Harbert.

• Thomas & Mary's son Harbert/Herbert was baptised 1596 in Burwash
    Goddard & Anne's son Harbert was baptised 1601 in Burwash

The 1596 Harbert/Herbert married Ann/e Unknown and before he died aged about 39 had two children John baptised 1631 at Brightling & Anne baptised 1635/36 at Brightling.

The 1601 Harbert was buried 1616 Burwash aged 14.

Westy

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 30 March 17 02:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Westy,
A different name, thats good but you may be wrong here. According to the records I found Herbert,(1596), son of Thomas and Mary died in 1616 Burwash and was buried  13th Aug 1616 St. Bartholomew's Church, Burwash.

Have you tried this web site  http://theweald.org   it covers most of the area's you are looking at in Sussex. I have found it invaluable over the years.

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 30 March 17 06:05 BST (UK) »
Hi SR,
The 1596 baptism as per transcripts from Sussex Family History Group is definitely for Harber/Herbert son of Thomas & Mary Hepden.

I located a burial as Hasbor but with no parents recorded.  https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:J8VM-2MC

Definitely [well at least according to the transcripts from Sussex Family History Group] the child baptised 31 Dec 1601 is the son of Goddard and Anne named Harbert/Herbert.

The Herbert/Harbert Hepden who died in 1636's will is at https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-6P4Q-72L?mode=g&cat=685691 however the writing is extremely challenging and I am unable to decipher accurately the names of the brothers he mentions in his Will.

If I were able to do that I could then pinpoint which Harbert/Herbert died in 1616 and which in 1636.

After much consideration and fatigue in attempting to transcribe the will to elicit names it does seem the Harbert/Herbert who died in 1636 is the son of Goddard Hepden and Anne Frye.

If this is the case then the chart at the address below is incorrect.

http://www.hebdens.com/Tree%20Charts/Sheet%2024%20Burwash%20Sussex.pdf

I have spent some time on the site you mention http://theweald.org  and have found it of value.  However I have also realised there are the occasional issue.

Thanks so much for providing the impetus to revisit these two same named people.

Westy

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 30 March 17 07:57 BST (UK) »
Hi, I've had a look at that will and I see what you mean, I'll study it more tomorrow. I expect you already have these names, the brothers and sisters of Herbert Hepdon son of Goddard and Ann.

Elizabeth Hepdon - Thanckfull Hepdon - John Hepdon - Hopestill Newington - Goddard Hepdon - Constance Ellyott - Retourne Hepdon - Fearnot Hepdon.

Also 

Harbert Hepden
MyHeritage Family Trees
Elliott, Blanch, Butler ancestors in Elliott Web Site, managed by Brian Elliott (Contact)
Birth:   Circa 1601 - Burwash, Sussex, England
Death:   Sep 1636 - Brightling, Sussex, England
Parents:   Goddard Hepden, Ann Hepden (born Frye)
Siblings:   Elizabeth Hepden, John Hepden, Returne Hepden, Godgifte Newington (born Hepden), Hopestill Newington (born Hepden), Fearnot Hepden, Thankfull Hepden, Constance Elliott (born Hepden), Goddard Hepden, Unknown Hepden, Unknown Hepden
Wife:   Anne
Children:   John Hepden, Ann Hepden

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 30 March 17 13:52 BST (UK) »
Hi SR,

I posted some clippings to Rootschat at http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=768476.0

Thanks.

Westy