Author Topic: Information on 1911 'West Riding Lunatic Asylum' patient - my great grandma  (Read 5201 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Information on 1911 'West Riding Lunatic Asylum' patient - my great grandma
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 30 March 17 07:50 BST (UK) »
You really need the birth certificate.  It will give place of birth of Emma and name her mother, it is the only way to be sure
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 30 March 17 10:56 BST (UK) »
found a women named Sarah Elizabeth Sharp who was there the same time as Emma. Could it be possible Emma Sharp is her daughter?
Too large a presumption I would suggest, Sharp is not an uncommon surname. I agree with rosie about obtaining the birth certificate.

It says she is residing in a place called 'The Gables' in Huddersfield at the age of 23 so she obviously left the asylum but I cant find any information on what 'The Gables' might have been in 1931, it seems now the same building is a care home.
The Gables Care Home is a modern building in Elmwood Avenue according to
https://bridgewoodtrust.co.uk/place-to-live/locations/the-gables/
so may or may not have been where the 1931 The Gables was. 4 Elmwood Avenue was a boarding house in the  late 1930s - so a different building but possibly the sort of place Emma 1907 might have lived at. The Gables is a popular name for a large house - is there a street name on the marriage certificate?

ADDED: And who are the marriage witnesses?

Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline SarahLuna

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 30 March 17 21:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you for you replies.
 Is it possible to see birth certificates via ancestry? I can't find anywhere online where you can look them up without having to pay. I think if we had a copy of her birth certificate we would have found it when my grandad died and we didn't.

I have tried to attach a copy of the marriage certificate so we will see it I've done it right!

Under address it says 'The Gables, Edgerton'
Witnesses are:
Sam Whiteley
Edith Mary bellany
Charles Mayfield

I think, although its quite hard to read.

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 30 March 17 22:07 BST (UK) »
Hi,

This may well be 'The Gables, Edgerton' here: http://www.huddersfieldhistory.org.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/vic-soc-walk-notes-6-4-13.pdf , page 11, last building mentioned.

The Gables, 5, Thornhill Road, Edgerton, Huddersfield. Built 1889/90 by Salomons & Steinthal of Manchester for Camille Bernard Knight a shipping agent & merchant.

This appears to be next door to the current care home which is apparently no6 Thornhill Road.

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline mirl

• RootsChat Veteran
  • I come from a land downunder, or do I?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 30 March 17 23:15 BST (UK) »
I agree with Rosie99, you need to get the birth certificate to get further information.

And if possible, somehow get to or contact the West Yorkshire Archives and physically search for any record of her in the patient files.  There might be a cost involved with this but it never hurts to ask first.
Richardson, Sherman, Gillam, Hitchcock, Neighbour, Groom, Walton, Strange, Littleford, Brown, Guy, Abbs, Tasker, Bartlett, Farey, Etteridge

Census information is Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 30 March 17 23:24 BST (UK) »
Apologies if I'm wrong, but having looked at the cover page it gives the address as the Union Workhouse at 90 Park Lodge Lane, Wakefield. Where is the information that its the Lunatic Asylum?

Added: Correction - Union Workhouse & Infirmary
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline miw

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 30 March 17 23:30 BST (UK) »
As others have said the birth certificate is essential.  If you order this directly with GRO certificate services online it will cost £9.25 or if you are quick while the current phase of trails is still on £8 for a pdf copy of the register entry.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 31 March 17 07:51 BST (UK) »
Birth & death certificates are not available through Ancestry and similar websites though they often have copies of marriage certificates within their church records collections. 

As others have said the birth certificate is essential.  If you order this directly with GRO certificate services online it will cost £9.25 or if you are quick while the current phase of trails is still on £8 for a pdf copy of the register entry.

The current offer for £8 PDFs will not cover her birth date
England and Wales records which are available as PDF's in pilot 3 include:
Births: 1935-2006
Deaths: 1958-2006
Marriages: 1837-2010

This is the link for ordering certificates
https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/Login.asp

Rosie
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline SarahLuna

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 31 March 17 11:25 BST (UK) »
Apologies if I'm wrong, but having looked at the cover page it gives the address as the Union Workhouse at 90 Park Lodge Lane, Wakefield. Where is the information that its the Lunatic Asylum?

Added: Correction - Union Workhouse & Infirmary

Ah yes I see that now. The census has all the institutes in the same online book and the work house is directly after the Lunatic Asylum so I didn't realise it was a different place. So she's in the work house not a Lunatic Asylum. That is a more likely place for a child that was abandoned.

Thank you for the info about the gables. I'll look into that building and see if I can find out what it was.

Thanks for the info about birth certificates too :)