Author Topic: JOHNSTON, Robert "Red Robin", b. 1808  (Read 1245 times)

Offline Cliff43J

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
JOHNSTON, Robert "Red Robin", b. 1808
« on: Thursday 30 March 17 04:51 BST (UK) »
Robert "Red Robin" Johnston, b. ca. 1808 in Ireland.  Today I found that he was born in "Armagh, Ireland".  This information was found on the death certificate of his son Robert Johnston, Jr., in Michigan.

We have done Y-DNA tests on descendants of: Francis Johnston, b. 1805 in England; Robert Johnston, b. 1808 in Armagh, Ireland; and Archibald, b. 1815 in Ireland.  They are perfect matches for 67 markers, and vary slightly for 111 markers.  For the past 12 years I have coordinated a private group of Johnstons who have tested as kin and/or have a paper trail to a Y-DNA-tested Johnston.  We are descended from the originator of our surname, John Johnstoun, a Danish Viking from Northumbria who went to Scotland.  The ancient Johnston Chiefs come from these origins.  If you have a male Johnston in your family, I encourage you to have his Y-DNA tested. 

Oral family history varies as to their relationships.  One story has all 3 as brothers.  Another has Francis as a cousin to Robert & Archibald, while yet another has Francis & Archibald as brothers with cousin Robert.  Your guess is as good as mine.  Another bit of oral family history has their father as born in Scotland and a Presbyterian.  Yet another bit of oral family history has 4 Johnston brothers going to Upper Canada.  One became ill on the crossing and remained in Quebec while the others went to the Pendleton area of Prescott Co. In Upper Canada.  The ill brother was nursed back to health, married his nurse, and farmed for awhile south of the St. Lawrence River before moving on to the States.

Documented in Upper Canada:

Francis is documented in Upper Canada in 1826 on the farm of George Johnson (sic) in Prescott Co..  George who may have been Francis' father appears on the Tax Assessment Roll of 1822.

Archibald is said to have arrived in Upper Canada in 1832 in the company of 3 of his older sisters, 2 of whom may have been named Catherine & Janet (Jane?).  A 4th. married sister remained in Ireland with her husband, a publican.

Robert Johnston is documented in 1832 on his Marriage Bond to Mary McQueen.

Catherine Johnston appears on the Tax Assessment Roll of 1834 on the farm of Francis Johnston.  This is her only appearance.

Thomas Johnston appears on the Tax Assessment Roll of 1835 on the farm of Francis Johnston.  This is his only appearance.

Oral family history indicates that Archie & his sisters arrived "with a great sadness", but the cause of the great sadness has been lost in time.  It is thought that one of their parents, their mother, died on the voyage across the Atlantic.

This is about all that I have that connects back to Ireland.  Any and all help will be appreciated.

Clifford "Cliff." Johnston
Pearland, Texas

Offline eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: JOHNSTON, Robert "Red Robin", b. 1808
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 March 17 01:55 BST (UK) »
I am not related.

I found an Archibald Johnston departing Quebec City going up river to Montreal on July 23, 1829, with a wife and sister, aboard the Chambly. The next entry is for a David Johnston and friend.

Where were these tax assessments from?

Offline Cliff43J

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: JOHNSTON, Robert "Red Robin", b. 1808
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 March 17 02:48 BST (UK) »
The Tax Assessment Rolls are from Upper Canada.  Archibald was b. 1815.  He would not have been married in 1829 - too young.

Thank you for your interest.