Author Topic: Genealogical Curiosities  (Read 3934 times)

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
Re: Genealogical Curiosities
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 01 April 17 14:37 BST (UK) »

Wow Philip that must be some gymnastics to show that on your tree :o :o

I had first cousins marrying which at first I thought I had duplicated an entry but on checking it dawned on me that they were 1st cousins.

I have my dad's brother marrying my mum's sister, also turned into quite a challenge to sort out the connections without duplicating parents!!!
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline clairec666

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My great-great-grandfather in his signalbox
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 01 April 17 14:51 BST (UK) »
Glancing at this list has revealed a bizarre genealogical curiosity, that I have absolutely no 2nd cousins that share my surname. I have 1st cousins that do and 3rd cousins that do, but no 2nd!

I'm in exactly the same position - my paternal grandfather had no siblings, so there are no second cousins that share my surname. It probably isn't as rare as you think - all it takes is for your paternal grandfather to have no brothers who had children.
Transcribing Essex records for FreeREG.
Current parishes - Burnham, Purleigh, Steeple.
Get in touch if you have any interest in these places!

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 01 April 17 20:23 BST (UK) »
I have 3 brothers who married 3 sisters. John, Richard and William Titshall married Louisa, Jane and Deborah Frost.

Allen Taylor wed Ann Stock in 1811. They were first cousins so I have actually duplicated their shared 2 grandparents in my PAF.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline Guyana

• RootsChat Member
  • How far back do you want to go?
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 01 April 17 21:50 BST (UK) »
At one time, I had at least 38 first cousins, none of whom shared my surname. The number is decreasing with time. My two sons also have none, but the picture changes with my three grandsons. here are no girls in the three generations of my line, but my only brother has one daughter and two grand-daughters
CORDEN - N.Staffs/N.Warwicks
MORGAN - Tamworth/Notts
HIGGS - N. Warwicks
DEEMING - N.Warwicks
LEWIS - N.Warwicks

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 02 April 17 12:24 BST (UK) »
The youngest grandchild is younger than 6 of the great grand children.

I suppose this is just a consequence of the niece/nephew older than the aunt/uncle syndrome.

All it take for this to happen is for generation 1 to still be having kids when their generation 2 produces their first child. It doesn't take extreme numbers for this to happen, e.g. first child at 20, still having children at 40, first child also produces children at 20.

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline genealogist1000

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 02 April 17 13:20 BST (UK) »
I have many cases of inter-marrying between families, sisters to the same man, close cousins, widows etc... but the one that most struck me was one of my 5x g-uncles marrying his niece! They seem to have eloped to the next county to get married (in secret?) but their own sisters were witnesses to the marriage. Then, instead of scarpering off, they went back to live in their home village after the birth of their first illegitimate child and had many other children together. I wonder what the rest of the village thought- and indeed what their parents thought! I can't imagine the two families were very happy with the situation! I wonder how the mother felt about her daughter running off with her own ageing brother!

Online coombs

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Research the dead....forget the living.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 02 April 17 18:35 BST (UK) »
What is confusing is when 3 brothers, even with a surname like Arbuthnot or Bracegirdle had daughters with the same first names. 3 married brothers each had a daughter called Lutrecia Arbuthnot and you cannot distinguish which one belongs to which brother.
Researching:

LONDON, Coombs, Roberts, Auber, Helsdon, Fradine, Morin, Goodacre
DORSET Coombs, Munday
NORFOLK Helsdon, Riches, Harbord, Budery
KENT Roberts, Goodacre
SUSSEX Walder, Boniface, Dinnage, Standen, Lee, Botten, Wickham, Jupp
SUFFOLK Titshall, Frost, Fairweather, Mayhew, Archer, Eade, Scarfe
DURHAM Stewart, Musgrave, Wilson, Forster
SCOTLAND Stewart in Selkirk
USA Musgrave, Saix
ESSEX Cornwell, Stock, Quilter, Lawrence, Whale, Clift
OXON Edgington, Smith, Inkpen, Snell, Batten, Brain

Offline bugbear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 02 April 17 18:36 BST (UK) »
... 5x g-uncles marrying his niece! ...  but their own sisters were witnesses to the marriage.

You mean sisters of both the uncle AND the niece (so sisters from both generations) ?

BugBear
BICE Middlesex
WOMACK Norfolk/Suffolk

Offline jbml

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 11:27 BST (UK) »
My wife's second cousin 3 times removed was my great x3 aunt's servant (or, more probably, a chambermaid in the hotel which my great x3 aunt and her husband ran ... although the distinction between domestic servant and hotel servant was probably not drawn nearly so assiduously as it would be nowadays).

I'm not sure whether this is an indication that her family has been socially climbing or that mine has been in social decline ... but I'm sure that nobody would have dreamed of marrying the servants back then!
All identified names up to and including my great x5 grandparents: Abbot Andrews Baker Blenc(h)ow Brothers Burrows Chambers Clifton Cornwell Escott Fisher Foster Frost Giddins Groom Hardwick Harris Hart Hayho(e) Herman Holcomb(e) Holmes Hurley King-Spooner Martindale Mason Mitchell Murphy Neves Oakey Packman Palmer Peabody Pearce Pettit(t) Piper Pottenger Pound Purkis Rackliff(e) Richardson Scotford Sherman Sinden Snear Southam Spooner Stephenson Varing Weatherley Webb Whitney Wiles Wright