Author Topic: Earsdon Marriage Details post 1844  (Read 755 times)

Offline MaryThorn

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Earsdon Marriage Details post 1844
« on: Friday 31 March 17 21:03 BST (UK) »
Just realised the Durham Bishops Transcripts finish after 1844.  Trying to find the marriage details of my 2 X great grandparents who were married in 1880.

They were living in Blyth so I'm making an assumption that they were married in Earsdon.  Is there a way of finding out more information before paying for a marriage certificate?

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Earsdon Marriage Details post 1844
« Reply #1 on: Friday 31 March 17 21:10 BST (UK) »
Just realised the Durham Bishops Transcripts finish after 1844.

This isn't relevant to your enquiry, but as a general rule you'll actually find very few post 1837 marriages in the online Bishop's Transcripts, this being the year that civil registration began.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 31 March 17 22:11 BST (UK) »
Hi,

They were living in Blyth so I'm making an assumption that they were married in Earsdon.  Is there a way of finding out more information before paying for a marriage certificate?

Not necessarily true, there were/are at least 3 or 4 churches in and around Blyth. What were your 2 x gt grandparents names?

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline MaryThorn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 31 March 17 22:31 BST (UK) »
My great great grandparents were Mary Dixon born 1859, Blyth and George Martin born 1859, shields.  Living in Blyth at 1881 Census.

Offline DavidJP

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 31 March 17 22:59 BST (UK) »
Hi,

By using the North Tyneside Council BMD website & locating the marriage in question, it gives a church code of C-5. This code tells us that the marriage took place at St Alban, Earsdon.

Link here hopefully to the reference details for your ancestors marriage on the above mentioned site: http://www.northtyneside.gov.uk/marriage-register-test.shtml?mode=details&register=C-5%206&entrynumber=86

Link to a previous thread containing the list of codes & the churches that they pertain to: http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=549842.0

Hope this helps.

Kind regards

David
Aitcheson, Aldred, Batty, Bauer, Bone, Brewer, Dean, Doyle, Durant, Fife, Finney, Gibson, Graham/Grayham, Hall, Harrison, Hersey, Hill, Holliss, Hudson, Hussey, Insley, Kelsey, King, Laver, Longmore, Luke, Mellor, Newman, North, Parker, Phillips, Porter, Read, Robinson, Rowel, Spink, Sproxton, Steer, Stevenson, Tanner, Witty/Whitty, Warburton, Wood.
(For more information on the above surnames please check the Surname Interest Table below.)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 April 17 09:41 BST (UK) »
Hi MaryThorn,

You don't need to go to the trouble of buying a certificate - I have found the marriage for you just now on microfilm at the North Shields Local Studies, in the North Shields library:

St Albans, Earsdon
Entry No: 86
Date: November 17th 1880
Names: George Martin and Mary Dixon
Both were aged '22'
George was a 'Boiler Maker'
Both Residences: 'Blyth'
Fathers: James Martin - Boiler Maker and James Dixon - Shoe Maker
Both signed their names
Witnesses were: John (looks like surname is 'Coundon') and Sarah (looks like surname is 'Snowdon')
The marriage was by banns
Ceremony was performed by C Reeder (I have found out this was Charles Reeder)

Best Wishes :)
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline MaryThorn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 April 17 13:04 BST (UK) »
River Tyne Lass!

Amazing!  Thank you so much. It was George Martins father I was particularly interested in as I've never been able to find out the Martin family as George 'disappeared' very quickly.  Finding his fathers name opens up the family line for me.  I found a James Martin last night living in Percy Main in one of the census' and wondered if this might be the family as Georges place of birth is given as Shields in future census'.

Thanks again!

Offline MaryThorn

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 April 17 13:09 BST (UK) »
David

Thank you as well.

Offline Radcliff

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copywrite on all census material,
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 01 April 17 23:21 BST (UK) »
There are a few Martins buried in St Albans

Thomas Martin aged 46,1834
Jane Martin aged 84 years,1879
Thomas Martin aged 59 years,1890
Jane Martin aged 76 years,1901
grave G3582-4

Quite a few Dixons
Gunning County Down,Kneale Isle of Man,Riddle Tynemouth,Bibby Kendal/Bradford,Colenso Penzance/Barrow-in-Furness,Steele Corney Fell,Chapman Ely,Dawes Alfreton,Blamire Westmoreland and Ulverston
Dislike the use of P Messaging system, unless its of a sensitive nature, Rootschat is  an open forum,