Author Topic: Adelaide Simmons McIntyre born @ 1829 somewhere in England  (Read 1253 times)

Offline emphilli

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Adelaide Simmons McIntyre born @ 1829 somewhere in England
« on: Saturday 01 April 17 03:12 BST (UK) »
Seeking the parents, any siblings, relations of Adelaide Simmons, b @ 1829 somewhere in England. She married Malcolm McIntyre (b @ 1799 somewhere in Argyllshire, Scotland) prior to immigrating to Canada. They had four children, the oldest, John, born somewhere in England @ 1850. Three daughters were all born in Ontario. This McIntyre family was in Southwold Ont. for the 1851 census. Adelaide died in 1860 and is buried in St. Thomas, Ont. (Malcolm McIntyre and 3 offspring also buried there).
Can anyone shed more light on their U.K. connections - Simmons or McIntyre?
Malcolm was much older than Adelaide - did he have an earlier family?

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Adelaide Simmons McIntyre born @ 1829 somewhere in England
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 April 17 03:42 BST (UK) »
One to look at.....

Malcolm Mcintyre
Christening
26 NOV 1799
Kilchrenan And Dalavich,Argyll,Scotland

father Peter Mcintyre, mother Catharine Mcintyre

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I was a beautiful baby - what went wrong?
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 April 17 05:48 BST (UK) »
Greetings.

Do you know the occupation of Malcolm McIntyre?  This might help to find a birth for John.

I can't see a marriage in England on FreeBMD up to 1851.

Philip
Please help me to help you by citing sources for information.

Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 April 17 07:53 BST (UK) »
The GRO Index Search includes Mother's Maiden Name on all (or nearly all!) births.

I found this:
MCINTYRE, JOHN  SYMONS      Mother's maiden name SYMONS      
GRO Reference: 1844  D Quarter in WOLSTANTON AND BURSLEM UNION  Volume 17 Page 259

www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
You have to register, but it's free.

I used "Similar Sounding Variations" for both Surname and Mother's Maiden Surname.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 01 April 17 14:17 BST (UK) »
The GRO Index Search includes Mother's Maiden Name on all (or nearly all!) births.
I found this:
GRO Reference: 1844  D Quarter in WOLSTANTON AND BURSLEM UNION  Volume 17 Page 259
www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/
You have to register, but it's free.
I used "Similar Sounding Variations" for both Surname and Mother's Maiden Surname.

That's a compelling possibility.  It raises interesting questions about the 1851 Ontario census record:
If Adelaide was 29 in 1851 she would have been 15 when John was born in 1844.  Is her age on the census incorrect?
John born 1844 can't be the same John born 1850 unless the census transcription is wrong (misreading 7 for 1).  Did the first John die and was there a second John born?
If Malcolm and Adelaide were in Staffordshire in 1844 that narrows their emigration date to between 1844 and 1851 (probably from Liverpool as that is the nearest major port to Staffordshire).  If we can find the family on a passenger list it would clear up the query about John (but this might be difficult as lists are patchy before 1865).

Philip

Offline philipsearching

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 April 17 14:34 BST (UK) »
John born 1844 can't be the same John born 1850 unless the census transcription is wrong (misreading 7 for 1).  Did the first John die and was there a second John born?

Philip

Update: I checked the GRO, there isn't an obvious death for John McIntyre.  There are a few who died of around the right age, but no obvious matches.  No other birth for John was found.  I couldn't find any other male or female births on GRO from 1844 to 1851 with surname McIntyre mmn Simmons using the variations options.

Philip

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 01 April 17 14:53 BST (UK) »
Are we sure that John (1850) was actually born in England, and NOT the United Kingdom?

Bearing in mind that our cousins across the pond often state England when they mean GB or UK! ;D
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline emphilli

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 01 April 17 19:04 BST (UK) »
Malcolm McIntyre was a farmer in the 1851 census. Pretty generic - might have been something else in the old country.

Two diff. cemetery survey records for St Thomas, Ont. give the son John McIntyre's middle initial, one as "N" and the other as "H".  (I take this to mean the initial was hard to read from the marker). The cem record said he died on 6 Feb 1873 at 22 years 7 months. The "England" for his birth came from the Ontario census.

I've worked out with confidence that Malcolm Mcintyre had an older brother John McIntyre, also born in Scotland, 1795 (Argyllshire not mentioned for him) and is also buried in Saint Thomas. Brother John married Emily McLellan (1804-1855), unknown as to which side of the ocean. I have four children for them, with brief obits from the St Thomas papers. Still working on following those forward in time.

I'll put the Kilchrenan/Dalavich Malcolm McIntyre on my list to follow forward and see where he ends up. My Malcolm did name his youngest daughter Catherine. (The others were Mary and "Jennie"). So this looks like a good lead.

There are a ton of McIntyre families in that area of Ontario. I expect to have to map out several families that aren't actually mine, to be sure of what I've found.
I was hoping that Simmons, being less common, would a bit easier to find in a haystack.

Thank you

Offline Christine53

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 03 April 17 19:16 BST (UK) »
 :-\

I found this:

Just found the baptism for the above :

John Simmonds McIntyre 22 Dec 1844 Burslem , St John; John & Isabella McIntyre of Burslem
John McIntyre is a soldier with 64th Foot.

Census information  Crown Copyright
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk