Author Topic: What did William leave his daughters in 1624  (Read 486 times)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
What did William leave his daughters in 1624
« on: Tuesday 04 April 17 01:55 BST (UK) »
William Chele, yoeman of Old Shoreham left a few legacies.

To his daughter Marie he left

…… daughter Marie two pairs of ? ? two fine table cloates [?] one paire of fine pillows cloates [?] one fine towell one dozen of fine [?] napkins   
…… said Marie one ? ? in the parlor one ? table in the hall ? bedhead in the chamber over the hall with [?] the bedding and furniture thereto [?] belonging ? chubbard [?] in the hall and three ? over [?] the chamber in the hall and the ? ? chest [?] in the hall and the ? ? chest [?] in the left [?[ chamber ...
…… two youngest daughters Elizabeth and Anna two ? and ? chest [?] and two boxes with all the linen woollen chushions, [?] plate spoons rings [?] and ? and ? and other things in the said ?  to be equally devided between

In eager anticipation.

Westy

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: What did William leave his daughters in 1624
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 02:41 BST (UK) »
the next extract as attached.

them by my loving Uncle [?] Lamberd [?] ? and my brother in law Thomas Brian and ? the survivor of them ….

….., daughter Elizabeth one bedd in the bed chamber [?] ? furnished with the best ? bed ? upon with it lyeth with the table in the parlor and twelve ? ? thereof belonging ….

…… daughter Anna two featherbedds ? furniture in the kitchen [?] chamber with a long [?] chest [?] table

Thanks

Westy

Offline mijath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 02:55 BST (UK) »
I'm struggling with a few bits of the first extract, but I think the second says:

"them by my loving uncle Mr Lamberd Russell and my brother in law Thomas Brian and by
the survivor of them Item I give unto my said daughter Elizabeth one bed in the best chamber
ready furnished with the best joined bedstead upon [which?] it lyeth with the table in the parlour
and twelve joined stools thereto belonging Item I give unto my said daughter Anna two
feather beds ready furnished in the kitchen chamber with a long chest table"

In the first extract - the items left to Marie - at the end of the first line it looks to me like "two pairs of these two", which doesn't make sense, but could it be an error?

On the following line, the "fine table..." item doesn't look like it begins with a C, if you compare with words such as chamber and cupboard. It looks like it ends with "athes". Following that, could Marie be the lucky recipient of "one pair of fine pillow coates"? An archaic term maybe.
Thorpe, Feak & Townsend (Norfolk) / Ormandy & Slater (Dalton-in-Furness) / Corner (Liverpool) / Wray (Lincolnshire) / Fidler, Bridge & Turner (Derbyshire)

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 03:27 BST (UK) »
Thanks so much.

I agree the first one is the most challenging.

I thought it interesting that in 1624  you can have feather beds in the kitchen chamber.

Westy

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 05:21 BST (UK) »
Here's the first extract:

...daughter Marie two paire of ^fyne^ sheetes two
fine table cloathes one paire of fine pillow Coates one fine towell one dozen of ffine
napkine Item I give and bequeath unto the said Marie one liverie Cubbard in the Parlor
one Joyned table in the hall a ioyned bedstead in the Chamber over the hall w(i)th the
bedding and furniture thereto belonginge a great Cubberd in the hall and three Chests...

Offline Westy11

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 05:24 BST (UK) »
Hello HD86,

Thanks so much [once again].

Why do you think William describes the items as 'fine'???  Was it a way of comparing other similar items??

Westy

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 06:12 BST (UK) »
Why do you think William describes the items as 'fine'???  Was it a way of comparing other similar items??

Yes, probably; he may also have had some that were less fine.