Author Topic: Asyburn or Ashburn Foulford Place Cowdenbeath  (Read 1668 times)

Offline shelly 65

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Asyburn or Ashburn Foulford Place Cowdenbeath
« on: Tuesday 04 April 17 16:35 BST (UK) »
Hi,
   i am wondering if anyone can help me trace my great aunt 1917 at the address above or give me some kind of information on the address above.
I have i think my great aunts death certificate in 1917 she died of  epilepsy at the above address,seems like it was an asylum or poor house. she had a child in 1915 that would have been two and approx half years when her mother died.what i am looking for is this the child my grandparents gave a home in 1917/18.my aunt never had a birth certificate so did not know (like my dad) that my grandparents were not her real parents..No one seems to know about this institution in Cowdenbeath even Fife Direct do not know of it,but it is on my great aunts death certificate?
                                                         Many thanks if anyone can help me.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Asyburn or Ashburn Foulford Place Cowdenbeath
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 23:04 BST (UK) »
Have you looked on Scotlands People for a birth registration for the child? 

https://www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk/search-our-records
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline shelly 65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 13:16 BST (UK) »
Hello,
        thank you for replying to me,yes i have all the information on her except what happened to her illegitimate daughter who was born 25/7/1915 ,i can find no marriage no death for the daughter,this is why i am nearly 100% sure that her daughter Ethel was the girl my grandparents gave a home to,but i am trying to clarify that.I wanted to know if anyone knew of this Institution in Cowdenbeath from 1911 to 1917.In the 1911 census my great aunts mother and her were there it stated on the census they were Inmates..Its a hard question to put to you difficult to explain .Thank you for your impute appreciate it very much. :)

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 14:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Shelly,

Can you post a clip of the doc. please with address for us to look at?

"even Fife Direct do not know of it"

Sorry for the questions but can you tell us how (method) you were in touch with them, your question, which dept. & your reply from them please?

I have found at times when someone doesn't 'know' something they just don't bother to investigate or pass it to someone else who may be able to help........laziness!!

Annie

Added, I meant to add that 'Inmate' does not necessarily mean someone is in an 'Institution' but was also a term for a Lodger/Boarder.

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"

Offline shelly 65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 15:07 BST (UK) »
Hi Annie,
            I cannot seem to manage to send you a clip of the email i received from Fife Direct,it was a very nice letter gave me information that may help,quote " I have not heard of a council funded asylum or poorhouse in Cowdenbeath or Burntisland"...You mentioned that it did not have to be an institution for them to be termed as "Inmates" i did not think of that.When my great Aunt died at that address in 1917 of epilepsy the informant on the death certificate was an E.Coutts typist she was also the informant on the other persons death...so made me think it was an institution.I have been at this for years now {still not educated on how or where to search) this is the closest i have come to something that seems to fit with my grandparents way of life..
Many thanks Annie...Would you like me to try and attach the 1911 census and my great aunts death cert.,?

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 15:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Shelly,

I was not clear enough (was in between doing something else & didn't want to lose your post), I meant a snip of the 1911 census doc. to see what the address was  ::)

I actually think it may have been a name given to the property (House) as they would such as e.g. Ivy Cottage but I wondered if there was an actual house number?

Annie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 15:18 BST (UK) »
Shelly,

You will have to crop the docs so as only to show relevant parts (addresses).

Annie

Offline shelly 65

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 15:44 BST (UK) »
Yes please easier for me.........

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 15:54 BST (UK) »
Ok,

PM sent as I realise any descendants may be living!

Annie