Author Topic: John FOGGO, born c1836, Edinburgh  (Read 2642 times)

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
John FOGGO, born c1836, Edinburgh
« on: Tuesday 04 April 17 17:05 BST (UK) »
Hello,

John FOGGO was released early on licence from Parkhurst Prison on 14/06/1854, his 7 year transportation sentence having been commuted.   His discharge documents stated he was returning to his parents in Edinburgh, his mother being named Mary FOGGO, a Pawn Broker of 1 New Street, Edinburgh.

His NRS record (AD14/50/606) quotes "Associated Places NA4265, Alloa, Stirlingshire, Scotland", but I am not too familiar with Scottish records and am at loss to understand the reference.

Sadly, I have not been able to collect all this information together and retrieve any further informaton for John FOGGO.   I wonder if anyone can help please, with full appreciation that FOGGO, surprisingly, is quite a popular name. ???

For the moment,

BAC3

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
Re: John FOGGO, born c1836, Edinburgh
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 22:16 BST (UK) »
Hi BAC3

I wonder if his age is wrong on this?

Accused    John Foggo, Age: 14, jailor, Address: Canongate, Edinburgh, Origin: Native of Edinburgh

Jailor also replace with tailor?

There is this 1841 census entry:

Mary Foggo 50
William Foggo 35 mason
Helen Foggo 20
John Foggo 15 Tailor
Marion Foggo 15
John Foggo 15
Elisabeth 15
Murdoch Mcleod 45 police officer

Address: Vennel, Edinburgh

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 23:08 BST (UK) »
Evening Monica,

His age is correct, 14 born in 1836........sadly, therefore, your 1841 reference has to be put aside.

Incidentally, The National Archives record on his release states that at the time of his crime in 1850 he was "Then aged 14 years and by trade a None."

BAC3

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 04 April 17 23:52 BST (UK) »
Hi,

There is a Mary Dingwall a widow and a sewer aged 38 birthplace Jedburgh Roxburghshire on the 1851 Census on the Cannogate with her son Thomas Fogo aged 14 born in Leith Midlothian.

There is a marriage in 1844 of Mary Telfer to a William Dingwall, Cannongate  - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XT1G-4RL

There is an earlier birth of a John Ewan Fogo - father Robert Fogo and Mother Mary Telfer in 1834 - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XTN6-T7J

There is also a birth for a Thomas Telfer Fogo in 24/9/1835  and three daughters Agnes, Robina and Eliza to this couple Robert Fogo and Mary Telfer.

Looks like Robert and possibly the daughters died and Mary married William Dingwall who has also died pre 1851.

Looby :)

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 00:12 BST (UK) »
I think the boys and an elder sister are in Leith in 1841 without Mary Foggo or Robert Foggo-

GARDNER Agnes F 65 Huckster Midlothian
FOGGO Agnes    F  10 Poor Child Supported By Parish Midlothian
 FOGGO John     M   8  Poor Child Supported By Parish  Midlothian
FOGGO  Thos    M    6  Poor Child Supported By Parish  Midlothian
AITKEN  Margt   F    1                                                Midlothian

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 11:08 BST (UK) »
Thank You, Looby,

I am not sure how far your information takes me, as John FOGGO was imprisoned in 1851 and thus not the person cited in the 1851 Census.

For now,

BAC3

Offline loobylooayr

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 12:54 BST (UK) »
Thank You, Looby,

I am not sure how far your information takes me, as John FOGGO was imprisoned in 1851 and thus not the person cited in the 1851 Census.

For now,

BAC3

Hi BAC3 -
I think you may have misunderstood or misread my posts.
John Foggo is not recorded on the 1851 Scottish Census to my knowledge.

The information I provided relates to the 1841 Census and 3 Foggo children in Leith which is the port which lies on the outskirts of the City of Edinburgh . I believe John aged 8 is the boy you are looking for.

The reference I made to the 1851 Census is for Mary Foggo/Dingwall and her younger son Thomas only. John Foggo is not with them. They are recorded at 285 Canongate. This address is a short walk from New Street.

DINGWALL    Mary    Head     W    F      38    Sewer     Roxburghshire - Jedburgh
FOGO          Thomas   Son      U    M     14    Scholar    Midlothian - Leith
GLENNELY    Andrew   Lodger  M    M    50    Image Maker   Overseas - Foreign - Luca Italy

All above spellings as per FreeCen transcription.

I think Mary Dingwall was previously Mary Foggo - maiden name Telfer. She has lost 2 husbands, firstly Robert Foggo then William Dingwall.

Robert Fogo/Foggo and Mary Telfer have at least 5 children  born in Edinburgh -
Eliza Fogo 23/11/1831,  Agnes Foggo 14/1/1833 (she is on 1841 Census, I believe),  John Ewen Fogo 18/4/1834, Thomas Telfer Fogo 24/9/1835 , Robina Foggo  6/8/1837.

31/12/1844 a Mary Telford married William Dingwell at Canongate, Edinburgh. I think this is Mary Telfer /Foggo.

New information I hadn't found last night - 1841 Census - 81 Chalmers Close, High Street , Edinburgh .
 Fogo     Mary   F    30     Bootbinder     Outside Census County   
Ross     Christina  F  33    Furrier          Outside Census County  

This could be Mary living and working on the High Street . Unfortunately no marital status was recorded on 1841 Census and the place of birth was either noted as being in the County of the Census or outside it.

Hope this makes better sense.

Offline BAC3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 14:07 BST (UK) »
Looby,

I am very grateful for all your hard work.   Thank you.

Certainly you have suggested a few threads I can develop after 1854 with John FOGGO's return to Edinburgh, taking account of the DINGWALL aspect.    However, I have to bear in mind he referred to his mother as Mary FOGGO in 1854 not Mary DINGWALL which she had been since 1844.   I wonder where the Pawn Broker connection lies ???

For the moment,

BAC3

Offline isobelw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Gran & Granpa Clotworthy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 05 April 17 14:43 BST (UK) »
John Fogo, son of Robert Fogo, Clerk ( deceased )and Mary Telfer (deceased) married Margaret Isabella Coutts on 18th Nov 1858 at 21 Royal Terrace Edinburgh.
John was age 24 occ. Shoemaker, living at 14 Roxburgh Street.
Margaret was also 24, a servant of 14 Roxburgh Street. Her parents were Robert Coutts, Seaman (deceased) and Barbara Laurence (deceased).
In 1861 John and Margaret were living in Milnes Court, Edinburgh.
Isobel
Clotworthy, McMahon, Saunderson, Culley (Ireland & Scotland)
Weatherall, Greer (Ireland & Scotland)
Hamilton, Johnston, Dawson, Rennie, Wright (Clackmannanshire)