Author Topic: Flight Sergeant Donald Fletcher Campbell RCAF  (Read 1788 times)

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
Re: Flight Sergeant Donald Fletcher Campbell RCAF
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 10 May 17 19:51 BST (UK) »
...Took off 1823 Elsham Wolds, Outbound crashed onto high ground near Hohrodberg (Haut Rhin), 4 Kms N from the small town of Munster ...

Hi Lancaster103

The link from Svenja leads on to a Forum with details of the crash following a mid-air collision with Lancaster ND968 of 460 Squadron, which was able to return safely to Lincolnshire.

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline msimp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 16:40 BST (UK) »
Hi there,
I don't know whether anyone has got back to you with details on your man and his crew from the 103 Squadron Operational Record Books,but this is what I have found.I have recently made a nominal index of all aircrew who served with 103 Squadron and are mentioned in the O.R.B.s,so hopefully this will be a fairly full account.
Posting details are not very full in the O.R.B.s-only officers are mentioned and then not all and with no service numbers-so it is hard to be definitive about when N.C.O.s were posted in and whether they were originally posted in with the crews that they flew with operationally.
Bearing that in mind,it seems likely that the McArthur crew,with whom your man flew,was posted in 10/11/44,the posting-in date given for the only officer member of the crew F/O.Lougheed-W/O.McArthur was commissioned 16/12/44.W/O.McArthur flew his second pilot sortie on 11-12/1/44 and then took his own crew on their first sortie 18-19/11/44 on Wanne Eickel.The crew were lost on their twelfth sortie.
Your man,who appears at times with the initials D.P.,flew on only eight of these sorties.No reason is given for his absences.
If you would like a full list of his sorties,please let me know.
Hope this is of interest,
Regards,Mark Simpson.

Offline Chiad Fhear

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Aye mair questions than answers!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 20 June 17 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

Thanks for that additional information, but I think I may now have enough information for Donald that has emanated from additional sources.

Your input is greatly appreciated

Chiad Fhear
Aye mair questions than answers in a world where the past was a different place - that cannae be revisited!

Family surnames being researched ...
Crawford, Neilson, Lindsay, Reekie, Davidson
Drummond, Laing, Pearson, Tulloch ... will do for starters but there's a whole lot more!

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk