Author Topic: The Last Will & Testament of Morgan Philips, Alias Wolfe, 1552  (Read 2989 times)

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Last Will & Testament of Morgan Philips, Alias Wolfe, 1552
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 08 April 17 16:59 BST (UK) »
A few more snippets:

I think I can barely make out the name Mary or Marg[aret] in the last one of these :)

Offline Bookbox

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 08 April 17 18:49 BST (UK) »
... our late soveraigne lord Henry the viijth of most famos memorie by his letters patent(es)
Datyd at westminster the xij daye of September in the xxxiiijth year of his g(ra)c(es) Reigne
hath given and graunted to me thafforesaid Morgan and Elizabeth my wief Two
tenement(es) nowe made in one set and being in Chepeside in the p(ar)ishe of Saynt faysters
in London w(i)t(h) two shoppes ^with^ entre selers and solers to the same belonging, Two other
mesuag(es) or tenement(es) w(i)th shoppes selers and solers set lying and being in watling
street in the p(ar)ishe of all Saynt(es) in bredstrete, one greate mesuage sometymes in small
tenement(es) with shoppes selers and solers in Chepeside in the p(ar)ishe of saynt Peters in

wood strete, And also one mesuage or tenement with shoppe selers and solers in the
p(ar)ishe of saynt Marye at bowe of london. And where also our said soveraigne lorde
be other his most gracious Letter pattent(es) Dated at westm(inster) the xj daye of February
in the xxxijth yere of his graces Reigne Dyd give unto me the said Morgayn & Elizabeth
my wief the Maners of Ilfforde parva otherwise called ylforde Hall and the Maner
of Berengers withthapparten(a)nc(es) in the Countie of Essex with dyvers other landes &
Hereditament(es) lying and being in litle Ilforde and barking in the said Countie to the
said Maners belonging, and the advousyn of the said p(ar)yshe churche of lytle Ilford ...

=====

Illforde parva = Little Ilford
selers = cellars
solers = upper storeys/lofts
advousyn = advowson = the right to present a candidate as church incumbent (often a privilege of the Lord of the Manor)

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 08 April 17 20:38 BST (UK) »
Saint Mary's, lol.

Well, at least I got the name right *g*

Thank you so much! :) He was such a wealthy man. And he seems to have been very fond of his wife.

Let us hope that the next few snippets can give us some more hints regarding his actual children, lol :)

Thank you so much again, all of you!!! I really appreciate all of your hard work! :)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 08 April 17 23:04 BST (UK) »
aforesaid. to have and to hold to me the said Margayn and Elizabeth my wief and
to the heyres of me the said Margayn forever as by the same other letters patents dothe
more playnlye apere Knowe almen that I the said Morgayne Phelipes do give devise
will and apoynt that all and singular my said maners of Lytle Ilforde & Berengers
and the [    son]  of the churche of litle Ilforde aforesaid with all and singular the
Appurtenances belonging to the said Manors of lytle Ilford and Berengers shall after
the decease of me the said Morgan Remayne (?) and be unto Julius Morgan myne
eldest sonne to have and to hold to hym and to his heires males of his bodye law

fully begotten. the whiche landes being nowe of the yearly value foure score poundes per(?)
terme and above / And for  faulte of heyres  males of his  body  to Walter Morgane my
seconde sonne/ And for fault of heyres males of Walter Morgan to Thomas Morgan
my youngest sonne/ And for fault of heyres males of his body to Morgan Moryce (?)
my daughter Alice sonne and my god sonne/ And for fault of heyres of hym the next heyres
of me the aforesaid Morgayn/ Also I will that my mansion house at
Cayton(?) calld gaylwe?e with all the com(m)odities and  profytes thereto belonging and the
farm (?) called Masters and the cottage over agaynst Masters nowe in the tenure of

Added: Ah Ha! I see from the next clipping it looks more like Layton, and not 'clayton', and the name of the place is Gaylwell
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 08 April 17 23:18 BST (UK) »
And there we have Alice!!!  8) 8) 8) *smiles Cheshire cat grin*

This is so great!!! I can't believe we've actually found her :) Team effort for the win! This is actually incredible!!!

That means that the visitations of Essex, p. 255 aren't entirely correct, however, as give Morgan Philips alias Wolfe (for extra clarity called Phillip Morgan in the visitations) a second son named John Morgan and no son named Thomas Morgan.

I think your reading of the name Morgan Moryce is entirely correct, as I strongly suspect that the first husband of Alice Pinchester, née Philips/Morgan/Wolfe (how exciting to be able to write that!) was called Philip Morris! :)

Thank you, thank you, thank you!!! :) :) :) I can't actually thank all of you enough!

Offline WillowG

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 08 April 17 23:29 BST (UK) »
Posting a few more snippets to see if we can unearth the Margaret Butler connection if we at all can :)

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 09 April 17 01:20 BST (UK) »
John Wasser and all and singular  lesures medowes pastures and thappurtenances thereto
Belonging being in valur at this present tyme by the by the yere xiiij l / And also all lesers medowes
pastures tythes groves with all ther thappurtenances nowe withe term of James Coke
[  stham] called Galywell grownde in the said p(ar)yshe of Layton and Ranold (?)
Lettyn by yere to the said James Coke paying yerely xij l  xviij s iij d / Also the manor
of Rayhows and  in the north side (?) of great Beford in the parishe of barkinge in the said
countie of Essex with all lesers medowes pastures with thappurtenances thereto belonging or
apperteyning being lettyn by the yere for xij l xj s vij d [  ]  of my lande at Layton and

Ranold and the maner of ?ayhowse yerly in valour xxxix l xs iij d/ All whiche as
aforesaide I will that yt shall remayne after my decease to Water Margan my second
sonne and to his heyres males forever when he comythe to thage of xxvj yeres and not
afore/ And I will that he shall have a certeyn stepend out of the said lande to the synding
of my said sonne at his lernying in an Inne of Court by myne Executours & overseers
And for default of heyres males of his bodye the howse at Layton and the ffarmes

No sign of Margaret Butler yet!
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 09 April 17 05:57 BST (UK) »
Going back to #7, I think it's the ...vouson of the churche...

This refers to the advowson in Bookbox's notes above.

In #8, I think it's ...ferme called Masters...

Meaning farm as per the transcript.

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 09 April 17 06:12 BST (UK) »
A few suggestions in #9.

I think it's John Waffer.

...nowe in the tenur of James Coke
of westham called halywell grounde...........[Banold?]

...northside of greate Ilforde in...

ADDED:

As I see it, in #8 we have a mansion house at Layton called gaylwere, but that is a separate landholding to the one in Coke's tenure.

ADDED 2:

The word at the end of the third last line in #10 is fynding.  In context I think it means funding/providing for, but funding is from a different root.

The OED refers to an archaic usage all found = (of an employee's wages) with board and lodging provided free.

I imagine this use of fynding is related.