Author Topic: Mr & Mrs LLOYD, Lady PRICILLA and Lady DEBORAH, Blo Norton Hall, Diss  (Read 2961 times)

Offline aakarlhamo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Mr & Mrs LLOYD, Lady PRICILLA and Lady DEBORAH, Blo Norton Hall, Diss
« on: Saturday 08 April 17 10:20 BST (UK) »
Hi

I found this intriguing little sketch book about Mr&Mrs Lloyd, Lady Pricilla and Lady Deborah's progression from Blo Norton Hall to Cromer, June 22nd 1868.  Not sure that they are ladies or if it is just the polite way of addressing them and that maybe they worked at Blo Norton Hall rather than owning it.  The book is very hard to read.  There are little sketches that shows them at Norwich Railway Station and also catching the stage coach along with their adventures at Cromer.  They are well dressed and have a lot of luggage so I hazzard a guess they aren't poor servants.

I guess the girls are 18 or over going by the sketches although in some one of the girls looks younger and has her head stuck thru the bars of a gate  :o  Pricilla is also spelt Priscilla throughout the book.  Sorry but that is all the information that I have.

I am hoping that someone would be able to do a look up for me on the Lloyds. 

Carole
SUSSEX: GANDER, HARMES, BURTENSHAW, HEASMAN, CHATFIELD
CAMBS :  SERJEANT, THURSTON, BUSH, SMART, BOLTON, MATTHEWS, REEDER, RAINER, PATMAN BECHINO, ALIAS GOOCH/CURTIS, WALLIS
KINGS LYNN: ASSELL, THURSTON
SUFFOLK: HENLEY , DARE
KENT: ASH, STICKLES
LONDON/MIDDX: HARMES, PIERPOINT, ASSELL, COWLAND, SMART, STRONG,
ESSEX: PIERPOINT, COWLAND,  OLLEY, ALIAS HICKS/KING
AUSTRALIA: ALIAS HICKS KING
CANADA: AYERS

Offline ciderdrinker

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: MR & MRS LLOYD, LADY PRICILLA AND LADY DEBORAH, BLO NORTON HALL, DISS
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 April 17 11:33 BST (UK) »
Hi
Not got a lot I'm afraid
Mr Lloyd may be the Robert LLoyd who is rector of the parish church 1866-1870 and appears on the register of electors for those dates at Blo'Norton.
The owner of the hall at the time is the Rev Charles Howman Browne but is is occupied by John Paston Browne.

In 1871 Robert LLoyd is with his brother for census night at Richmond Surrey
George A LLoyd 50 gentleman Warburton Cheshire
Mary 46 wife Hastings
Robert LLoyd 48 brother rector of Blo'Norton Warbuton
Harriet 33 sister in law Mobberley Cheshire
and 2 servants.

By 1881 he has retired to Upton on Severn.It seems he and Harriet didn't have any children.

The Browne brothers were born in Leiston Suffolk and on the 1861 census are both unmarried age 61 and 58 years.No sign of anyone called Priscilla or Deborah I'm afraid.

Ciderdrinker

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 08 April 17 11:57 BST (UK) »
1871 has a Priscilla Lloyd in Norfolk but she's only 5 so would have been a toddler if she had her head stuck through a gate in 1868 so probably not her!

Down as the daughter of
Jeremiah Gardener 42
Elizabeth " 39
James " 13
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline aakarlhamo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 08 April 17 14:37 BST (UK) »
Thank you Ciderdrinker and Millipede, and I thought this was going to be a doddle !!
Just wish the book wasn't so hard to read.  I suppose there is always the possibility that the coach went from Blo Norton Hall to the station in Norwich or that they were visiting a relative and they were the person who documented the journey.   Or, maybe it is Robert and Harriet Lloyd and Priscilla and Deborah are the red herrings as it is so easy to presume that they are their children.

How do I attach photos as it's not giving me any options when I press attachments?
CAMBS :  SERJEANT, THURSTON, BUSH, SMART, BOLTON, MATTHEWS, REEDER, RAINER, PATMAN BECHINO, ALIAS GOOCH/CURTIS, WALLIS

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 08 April 17 14:52 BST (UK) »
I wonder if they were ladies-in-waiting type lassies not related to the Lloyd family - it's difficult. 

I've never attempted to attach anything but am sure someone will advise.  Would be interested to see it  :)
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 08 April 17 14:58 BST (UK) »
I suppose you could look through the census for that area and see if those first names pop up.
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 08 April 17 15:07 BST (UK) »
This sounds like a fascinating document Carole. Can you tell us more please?
How many pages? Size? Where did you find it?

I would love to see some scans of the book. Hopefully the instructions here might help you:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=317502.0

Offline aakarlhamo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 09 April 17 07:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Ruskie

I bought it blindly at a Cumbrian auction and had such a lovely surprise when I saw it.  I tried to upload some pictures yesterday but I can't see how to as going into attachments just gives other options and nothing for adding a photo or document.  I can message you with some pics as the book is really a delightful social history document albeit very hard to read.  There is a description of the day and sketch every other page.  They are simple but stylized to the time and quite humorous.

The book measures 8"x6" and the 22 pages are light blue and lined.  The cover is marbled with best described as a corrugated stripe going across the page in tans, browns and grey marble.  There are 20 pictures of activities of each day.  The first page is an introduction of the people and where they set off from, destination and date.  There is a sketch showing the 4 travellers from the back - 1 man and 3 ladies.  The sketches are in ink and a few have a splash of watercolour. 

Sketches include some showing different stages of the journey: going into bathing huts fully clothed; cliff climbing; crossing a perilous stream; taking a drive with a pair of donkeys and a postillium; doing justice to a very substantial lunch; sometimes long reaches of the sea sometimes the sea but different coloured hills - this is a coloured sketch of the family with a picnic showing the sea with ships and hills; to dabble in the pools; pursuits in their accommodation, a page with Sherrington Church, the Cottage, woods and family; in a rowing boat on the sea - one of the girls has fallen backwards in the boat; swimming in the sea - this is a lovely one and shows a beach hut and 2 girls in the sea - the beach is coloured.  Climbing under the burning heat; Mrs Lloyd looking out of the window across the sea at the sunrise at 3.30 am;  There are some verses instead of pictures on the next couple of pages.  Next sketch is; being chased by waves while 2 ladies sit on rocks; thru the bars went her head; without more ado down went the donkey - poor donkey! The last page and back cover are both written on.

I'll have a look at the link and if I can't find why I can't attach then I will message you with the pics as they are well worth a share.

Carole

Offline aakarlhamo

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 09 April 17 07:52 BST (UK) »
17821025_10208054986482623_956654479_n