Author Topic: Looking for first marriage and other children of Benedict Livermore  (Read 1102 times)

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Looking for first marriage and other children of Benedict Livermore
« on: Saturday 08 April 17 12:09 BST (UK) »
Benedict Livermore and his wife Mary baptised three children in Littlebury : Elizabeth 10 June 1705, Benedict 2 Oct 1709 and Grace 5 Nov 1710.
There is a burial for Mary Livermore in Littlebury on 8 Mar 1716, and a marriage for Benedict Livermore of Littlebury widower to Elizabeth Grigg otp single woman at Chrishall on 24 Sep 1717. There is a baptism for a Sarah Livermore in Littlebury on 16 Dec 1718 d/o Benedict and Elizabeth.

In his will (dated 1763), Benedict jnr mentions his sisters Grace (married name Seaman), Mary (married name Cator - deceased when the will was written) and Susannah (married name Sell). No mention of sister Elizabeth, but she may have predeceased him without having children.
Can anyone find the first marriage of Benedict (to Mary) and the baptisms of the two extra sisters or possibly half sisters (Mary jnr and Susannah).
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge
Dorset / Hants: Derham, Stride, Purkiss, Sibley
Yorkshire: Pottage, Carr, Blackburn, Depledge
Sussex: Goodyer, Christopher, Trevatt
Lanark: Scott (soldier went to Jersey CI)
Jersey: Fowler, Huelin, Scott

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for first marriage and other children of Benedict Livermore
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 08 April 17 14:01 BST (UK) »
I think I've found Susannah Sell's baptism. Susanah d/o James and Susan Sell 29 Dec 1736 in Saffron Walden.
Berks / Oxon: Eltham, Annetts, Wiltshire (surname not county), Hawkins, Pembroke, Partridge

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 April 17 10:35 BST (UK) »
I did think The half sister Sarah Livermore might be Susanna, but I think I have found a marriage for Sarah - or maybe two ???
Littlebury parish register: June 1739 (no date recorded) Maynot Frost to Sarah Levermore (sic) both of Littlebury.
Saffron Walden parish register: 19 June 1739 John Mumford to Sarah Livermore both of Littlebury. Banns published there.

So have I got a second Sarah Livermore resident in Littlebury who also married in June 1739? Or is it one marriage and the Littlebury record is actually the Banns record (only month and year given) and one register has a mistake with groom's name?

At least it looks like Susanna and Sarah are two different people.

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 10 April 17 07:08 BST (UK) »
There is an Elizabeth Livermore buried at Littlebury 17 February 1723/24. The entry gives no details.

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 10 April 17 08:43 BST (UK) »
Thank you, I missed that burial. Looking at the register, it could be either Elizabeth, the daughter would be about 19, probably too old to be referred to as child of Benedict. The vicar recording burials at that time tends to record burials of married women as "the wife of...", so I'm inclined to think it is more likely to be the daughter.

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 09:16 BST (UK) »
I have found a ton of information on Benedict (snr) parents Robert and Susan of Little Chesterford, his brothers and sisters baptism dates. However by 1698 his brother Robert has married, James has married by 1701, Thomas by 1703 yet none married at Littlebury or Little Chesterford.
I have Benedicts burial as 16 November 1749.

Have you tried Great Chesterford or Great Samford?

Offline LizzieL

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 12 April 17 10:33 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your reply. I've also got lots of information on Robert and Susan (nee Reeve) Livermore. They were kind enough to write wills as well! Yes I agree with burial date in 1749 for Benedict snr in Littlebury. I've tried Great Chesterford, but not Gt Sampford, I'm working my way around villages outward from Little Chesterford. I have found a likely burial for Susanna (Livermore) Sell in S Walden 29 Aug 1787 age 85 and a marriage 17 Nov 1735 to James Sell. If age at death is right then birth abt 1702 and marriage when she was 33. A bit old, but it fits with only having one child the following year. If there had been a string of children, I would be looking for someone a younger.
If Susanna is oldest of Benedict snr's children, finding her baptism might give a clue to the marriage location.

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 14 April 17 06:40 BST (UK) »
I was looking at Saffron Walden marriages and they stop at 1696 till 1708, but there is a notation
"see copy book transcripts"
I take this to mean there is a list of marriages those years but in another book.

As Susanna and Grace both married at Saffron Walden I would ask the ERO if they would look up if there are entries for Livermore, maybe find Robert, James, Thomas and Benedict.

The marriages licenses for Susanna Ref D/ACL 1735/27 did it give a clue to her age and was James single or widowed as I noticed another license for a James Sell to Elizabeth Blacklock  ref D/ACL 1720/35?
 Grace marriage license Ref D/ACL 1737/29
Grace is 1710 based on baptism