Author Topic: Horace's Territorial Medal  (Read 963 times)

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Horace's Territorial Medal
« on: Saturday 08 April 17 23:06 BST (UK) »
I know there's something handwritten on this receipt slip - but what?  His regimental number was 1082 but there appears to be a much longer number on the slip.

I'd be very obliged if somebody could produce a legible image.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Horace's Territorial Medal
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 09 April 17 08:52 BST (UK) »

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 09 April 17 11:22 BST (UK) »
The 6 digit number is his post 1917 number. This is when Territorials were re-numbered as part of the Army re-organisation.
390030 belonged to your man Horace Flemme Pte. RAMC.
The block of numbers containing 390030 were allocated to no.3 Northumbrian Field Ambulance 50th. (Northumbrian Div.)
No.3 FA diary is on Ancestry if you have a sub.
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01jw2/
Warks:Ashford;Cadby;Clarke;Clifford;Cooke Copage;Easthope;
Edmonds;Felton;Colledge;Lutwyche;Mander(s);May;Poole;Withers.
Staffs.Edmonds;Addison;Duffield;Webb;Fisher;Archer
Salop:Easthope,Eddowes,Hoorde,Oteley,Vernon,Talbot,De Neville.
Notts.Clarke;Redfearne;Treece.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.
Worcs.Coley;Mander;Sawyer.
Kings of Wessex & Scotland
Census information is Crown copyright,from
www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/

Offline japeflakes

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 09 April 17 11:50 BST (UK) »

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 09 April 17 12:59 BST (UK) »
Heartfelt thanks Handypandy and Japeflakes, your contributions are much appreciated. 

A big thanks too for your extra input jim1, for you taking the trouble to explain and, especially, also informing me that a----y has the all important RAMC Northumbrian DIARY as I'd like to know where my grandfather was gassed and how/where/why both he and three of his Flemme/Fleming brothers-in-law got their several mentions in despatches  (My g/father's 20+ page record doesn't reflect much, excepting his medical condition - and although Horace Flemme's record does reflect his movements, I don't understand the abbreviations).

Ref the imigary;  I've been sorting out the contents of my computer and have noticed that for some technical reason that I don't understand, images of hand witten documents  that were once quite clear over a decade ago on my XP computer, then the Microsoft 7 and 8, but now on the Microsoft 10, are now fuzzy and practically illegible.  Those images that I printed off years ago on the old fashioned techology ink printer have mostly faded too - so all in all - quite frustrating.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 09 April 17 13:57 BST (UK) »
The first entry I noticed on his record was reference to his re-engagement 2/1/16.
This is as a result of the new law that came into being a day earlier.
TF's signed up for 4 years + 1 on reserve, after that a man was considered "time served" & couldn't be re-engaged even in times of a national emergency (this also applied to Reservists).
So his time would have been up 5/2/16 but under the new law he could & was held back for the duration.
His embodiment the day after war was declared is him being made a full time soldier although still part of the TF.
I notice he lost his Good Conduct (GC) Badge for occupying a room reserved for the French school & received 7 days FP (Field Punishment) no. 2.
Schools were extensively used during the war as CCS's & ADS's.
Obviously their beds were more comfortable.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 09 April 17 19:13 BST (UK) »
More on your man;
23/3/16-25/4/16 granted home leave.
16/6/16-24/1/17 attached to the 2nd. Northern Bde. RFA.(2/26 Bde.)
25/1/17 rejoined no. 3 FA.
6/10/17-16/10/17 granted home leave.
9/11/18-23/11/18 granted home leave.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 10 April 17 02:45 BST (UK) »
You're spoiling me jim1 and taken me by surprise at how much reliable infomation you've found out about my grandmother's brother in such a short time, whereas it took me ages from the start of this century trying to find basic WWI information.  I won't go into it but I found some of the records are suspect.

Your explanation about having to remuster could well explain something that's puzzled me.  As a child I was shown my grandfather's medals and I especially remember asking why a couple of them had a piece of metal across each ribbon. I got told they were called "bars" and were to show the medal had been earned twice, then came an additional piece of information;  "He was a very brave man and mentioned in despatches" - I've not found his name mentioned but I've seen the NA's explanation of reasons why some names aren't specifically recorded.

It occurred to me that you might like to see the young man you've been researching for me.  I only knew them as little old men. but here he is with two of his three Flemme/Fleming brothers.  From the left:- Herman b1898;  *Albert b1890; *Horace b1893 ( *their mother died 1893 when Horace was 3 weeks old)

Offline jim1

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ain't life grand
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 10 April 17 12:00 BST (UK) »
What a great photo to have.
If he had more than 1 Medal with bar it would more than likely be MM & DCM.
He may not be mentioned re his MM but I would have thought his DCM (assuming he was awarded this) would be in the Gazette.
Quite often men awarded medals are mentioned in the war diary.
Som.May;Perriman;Cox
India Kane;Felton;Cadby
London.Haysom.
Lancs.Gay.