Author Topic: Look up in San Francisco Call Database  (Read 1194 times)

Offline tobyjug

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Look up in San Francisco Call Database
« on: Monday 10 April 17 13:40 BST (UK) »
My ancestor Fergus Ferguson Kennedy emigrated from Liverpool in March 1887 to begin a new life working for the Risdon Iron and Locomotive Company in San Francisco.  His family followed him a few months later.  By 1890 he was dead and his death is recorded on the SF Call database.  The reference I have is:
Fergus F Kennedy died 1890 D-3507
I wondered if this is a document someone would be able to look at and report back what it says - just to get an idea of what happened.  I know his wife and children had returned to Liverpool, England by 1891.

Thank you in anticipation.
Bennett/Slack in Cumberland (Cockermouth, Wythop,Penrith areas); Miller, Redgate and Young in Lancashire (West Derby, Everton, Chorlton on Medlock)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Look up in San Francisco Call Database
« Reply #1 on: Monday 10 April 17 13:57 BST (UK) »

Offline Genealiza

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 10 April 17 14:02 BST (UK) »
The Morning Call
San Francisco, CA
23 May 1890

FERGUS F. KENNEDY

Fergus F. Kennedy, for the past four years the marine engineer of Risdon Iron Woks, died suddenly on Tuesday last at his residence, 771 Haight Street, from congestion of the lungs resulting from a cold.  The deceased was well known and much respected on the Coast.  Under his supervision the steamer Australia was almost entirely rebuilt, and proved on of the best pieces of work ever done in that line in this city.  Mr. Kennedy was of late busy preparing plans and specifications for the two United States cruisers, on which the Risdon Works will bid.  The deceased left a widow and seven children.  The funeral took place yesterday under the auspices of Golden Gate Lodge F. and A.M., of which Mr. Kennedy was a member.

This article is viewable at:  http://chroniclingamerica.loc.gov/

Sorry Shelley, was typing when you entered your data.

Offline tobyjug

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 17:57 BST (UK) »
Thank you SOOOOO much.  This look up is now complete
Bennett/Slack in Cumberland (Cockermouth, Wythop,Penrith areas); Miller, Redgate and Young in Lancashire (West Derby, Everton, Chorlton on Medlock)

Online Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 April 18 20:59 BST (UK) »
Perhaps you already have the following information, but since I lived in San Francisco at one time, I was interested in your thread.  I enjoy finding all that I can about my ancestors, even the smallest details -- perhaps the following may be of interest to you about your Mr. Kennedy.

San Francisco City Directory - 1889
Just one Fergus Kennedy listed
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lxa/
  Perhaps you already know that a John Kennedy also lived at 771 Haight?  He was a machinist at Risdon, etc. as well

Daily Alta California newspaper, 13 July 1889
Could this be your Mr. Kennedy?  Of course, this Fergus could have lived outside of San Francisco and there's the possibility that there were at least two men with the same name.
"...Mr. Fergus Kennedy then spoke, alluding to San Francisco politics, when C.M. Boyd took the floor..."
http://www.rootschat.com/links/01lxb/

Note:  When I use the Search feature on RootsChat, I usually search for things within the past 30 days.  I didn't do so this time and replied to an old post.  Perhaps the above may be of interest anyway.  ;)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)