Author Topic: Amelia Bush in Bath!!  (Read 3538 times)

Offline Jeninnz

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Amelia Bush in Bath!!
« on: Tuesday 11 April 17 03:12 BST (UK) »
Hi, I am on a mission trying to find the birth of my 2 x great grandmother.  I believe she was born in or near Bath about 1840-1842. I do not have a birth for her.  She was Amelia Ann Bush. In 1851 there is an Amelia Bush in the Bath Union Workhouse listed as a pauper and then in 1861 Amelia Bush is listed as daughter to Sarah and Stephen Redburn and listed as born Wellow, Bath........now is she Sarah's daughter.....no idea ... and if so how did she get in and out of the Workhouse to be in Odiham, Hampshire in 1861? She married James Bohee in 1864 and from then on I can follow her. It's her early life I can't track.  Any ideas as to how I can find this information would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Researching, Titcombe, Davies, Galloway, Craig, Shailer, Richardson, Lee, Rand, Hazell. All roots mainly from England, Scotland, New Zealand.

Offline maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: Amelia Bush in Bath!!
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 03:38 BST (UK) »
Do you have the marriage cert, if so what info does it contain - Amelia's father's name and age at marriage? (Hartley Witney 2C/209)

Added: Also, if you have later censuses, is this why you think she was born in Bath? (Can't find her after a quick look  ???)

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 03:58 BST (UK) »
There is also an Amelia Bush,(niece), b1841 in the 1851 census living with Frederick and Lydia Bush. Living in Frome, Somerset which is near Bath.

Offline Jeninnz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 05:42 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for your replies.  As yet I do not have the marriage cert.....and I am waiting on her death cert to arrive.  The 1851 and 1861 census show Bath as birthplace as does the 1871 one in her married name.  James and Amelia came to New Zealand in 1873 so there will be no further UK census for them. Just one of my mysteries to solve.  I visited her grave last weekend and even that didn't help except to give the names of her children and where they were also buried.  On her headstone it has her as 90years old, on BDM site in NZ it has her as 84years old.......one of the reasons I sent for it.  She also remarried after her first husband's death on the same day her daughter married.......now that took a bit of working out too.  These ancestors like to keep us on our toes.
Researching, Titcombe, Davies, Galloway, Craig, Shailer, Richardson, Lee, Rand, Hazell. All roots mainly from England, Scotland, New Zealand.

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 05:48 BST (UK) »
Where did you find her on the 1861?

Offline Jeninnz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 06:15 BST (UK) »
Where did you find her on the 1861?

She is with Sarah and Stephen Redburn in Odiham as Amelia Bush and is recorded as daughter, born Wellow, Bath.

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 06:30 BST (UK) »
It's Radburn and the birth year is 1848.
There is an Amelia Bush b1849 Keynsham which is near Bath. No records for Amelia Radburn that I can find so far.

Offline Jeninnz

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 06:38 BST (UK) »
How did you get that result.....if she was 19yrs, she would have been born 1842 ish.   I agree that Radburn is the surname on Ancestry.  What am I missing here??

Offline solidrock

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 06:54 BST (UK) »
How did you get that result.....if she was 19yrs, she would have been born 1842 ish.   I agree that Radburn is the surname on Ancestry.  What am I missing here??

She is 13 when living in Odiham. 1861