Author Topic: missing person 1911  (Read 696 times)

Offline Matt Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
missing person 1911
« on: Tuesday 11 April 17 09:38 BST (UK) »
hi guys ive always been told my great nan had 24 kids but i can only account for 20, hannah stokes husband died in swansea 1920 and she remarried two months later as theyd been separated years to charles james harris, i was wondering if charles was previously married that could account for the four missing kids maybe they were hannahs step children, charles james harris was born charles james smith in lambeth 1867 son of charles james smith snr and changed his name to harris when he moved to wales but i cant fnd him in the 1911 census, any helps appreciated in locating him in 1911 census, his marriage cert says bachelor but ive been fooled before.

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: missing person 1911
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 09:47 BST (UK) »
Unfortunately we're not allowed to look up from the 1911 census but could look for childrens births to see how many we can find - what was her (Hannah) maiden name? 

And you had better post the 20 names you have - but only if they are no longer alive.  Are there any gaps where other children could have been born - that's usually a clue one has been born and possibly died.
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos

Offline Matt Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 09:54 BST (UK) »
hi hannahs birth name was bown but married as smith after her stepdad, after many wrong birth certs ive found most of her kids but i want to know f charles harris/smith had sny kids before he met hannah and where he was around 1911, thanks.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 11:19 BST (UK) »
you can now use the GRO website to search for births before 1911 with the mothers maiden name.

Takes a few seconds to re-register if you haven't ordered any certs for a while.

www.gro.gov.uk
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline Matt Wilson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 11 April 17 11:24 BST (UK) »
hi i dont know if he married or who to which s why d love to find him in 1911, as he worked on railways he mved around a lot before settling in swansa.

Offline RayDen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 15 April 17 11:13 BST (UK) »
Here is the source for the 1911 census:

Source Citation
Class: RG14; Piece: 32855; Schedule Number: 10

There is an online tree on An..y which has Charles marrying Hannah Smith, no date, and them having a child Albert Percy Harris in 1921 in Swansea.  Freebmd shows an Albert Percy Harris born 1921 with mother Smith.  That would have made Hannah 46 at the time, not impossible.

Have found 4 births for a Harris/Smith child between 1920 & 1930 (the online tree has Charles Harris dying in 1930, confirmed on freebmd): The births are:

Births Dec 1920 Harris    Douglas F    Smith    Swansea    11a   2201    

Births Jun 1921  Harris    Albert P    Smith    Swansea    11a   2513    

Births Mar 1922   Harris    Vera H    Smith    Swansea    11a   2272   

Births Dec 1926   Harris    Derrick E    Smith    Swansea    11a   1696    

Have found only one marriage for a Harris/Smith between 1918 & 1930 in Swansea and that was in March 1920.

Now if the 1920 child was the for the 1920 marriage then the 1921 birth would be unlikely to be theirs? and vice versa.

You say that Charles is shown has a bachelor on the marriage cert - I think this may be probably correct

Hope this helps

Have pm'd you.

Ray
Denham [Hertford & London], Carter [Somerset], Francis, Badger [Pembroke, Glamorgan]