Author Topic: Johanna Cremin  (Read 10021 times)

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Johanna Cremin
« Reply #18 on: Monday 17 April 17 08:55 BST (UK) »
I think I know what went wrong, short of time now but think it's the names in Latin looking alike.
Priest couldn't read his own writing.
Fathers correct on church record, incorrect on civil cert.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 17 April 17 09:09 BST (UK) »

Offline foleygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 17 April 17 16:58 BST (UK) »
In all the census records I have found of my great grandparents it stated more often that they immigrated in 1889. Along with this I was told the ship name and year to be 1889, but this one census record shown in link states they came to America in 1890. To me this makes more sense as John was a busy boy already marrying in February and having their first child in October. I doubt that many ships traveled in winter months due to ice. A distant cousin has stated that she has a 'manifest' that was sent by Johanna to her younger brother, James stating that they had a rough ride on the ship and almost hit an iceberg. I asked for a copy of this manifest but it has not arrived to me yet.
John Bernard Foley (my great grandfather) began employment with the Railroad of May of 1890 in Pocatello, Bannock Co., Idaho. So this leaves the Foley's coming to America after October 1889 and before May of 1890. I was told that they came aboard a ship called the Aurania and boarded in Queenstown.
John and Johanna lived in Pocatello, Idaho throughout their lives and are buried here.
Here's the census you asked for.
http://search.ancestry.com/cgi-bin/sse.dll?_phsrc=jsh6&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&indiv=1&db=1900usfedcen&gss=angs-d&new=1&rank=1&msT=1&gsfn=John&gsfn_x=0&gsln=Foley&gsln_x=0&msbdy=1865&msbpn__ftp=Ireland&msbpn=3250&msbpn_PInfo=3-%7C0%7C1652381%7C0%7C3250%7C0%7C0%7C0%7C0%7C0%7C0%7C0%7C&msgdy=1889&mssng=Johanna&mssns=Cremin&MSAV=1&MSV=0&uidh=h1h&pcat=35&fh=4&h=9791310&recoff=&ml_rpos=5

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 17 April 17 17:54 BST (UK) »
The Census link only works if you have a Ancestry subscription.

The Aurania sailed 1889 Queenstown to New York.
https://www.geni.com/projects/Queenstown-Cork-Departures/29440
So New York arrivals would be the place to look for them.

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 17 April 17 18:47 BST (UK) »

Offline foleygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 17 April 17 19:37 BST (UK) »
I have not been able to find proof of the ships list yet showing actually when John and Johanna left. I have found ship records for 1887 for the Aurania but nothing after that year until into the 1905 year. I did find this link which shows the Aurania's schedule leaving from Liverpool.
 http://www.norwayheritage.com/p_ship.asp?sh=auran

Offline foleygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 17 April 17 20:54 BST (UK) »
I found so many mistakes through death certificates. I tried to send this attachment earlier but it wouldn't go through. I'll try it again. Here's what I have received from the Parish showing Johanna's Birth Certificate.

Offline foleygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 17 April 17 20:56 BST (UK) »
Here's John's Birth Certificate and Marriage Certificate of John and Johanna.

Offline foleygirl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Tuesday 18 April 17 00:17 BST (UK) »
I apologize for the confusion of my last email in sharing frustration of errors in death certificates. I must have had one of those episodes where my brain ventured off. I have been so busy checking on ship manifests, New York ships (all ships) entering during 1889 and 1890 and nothing finding John Foley, wife Johannah, daughter, Julia and mother to John, Julia Loughnan/Loughnane. I did find a John Foley on a different boat with his age being off by one year and the Immigration date 1888 but that didn't work for we have proof of marriage date and birth of child in 1889. I'm amazed at how many John Foley's there are married to Johanna's with different names. I feel that you are all seeing the errors that I've found that just make me wonder if I'm on the right track. Before sending the Parish documents of John and Johanna I had found my great grandfather's death certificate on ancestry. John died 31 Aug 1946 here in Pocatello, Idaho USA. His official death certificate has birth/death dates correct along with place but somehow they have his spouse as being Johanna Mclaughlin. I am amazed at how many errors I've found in researching my Foley family. I have found some info off of familysearch.org but in saying that, I've had more errors found on that site than anywhere else.
I'm trying to regroup my thoughts in trying to find where else to look for ships to enter USA during that year. The only one I can think of would be New York but I've searched records all day and have come up with nothing.
I want to thank you again for all your help as I appreciate new eyes on this journey.
Thank you,
Foleygirl,
Trudy