Author Topic: Missing baptism  (Read 593 times)

Offline durhamgirl73

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Missing baptism
« on: Wednesday 19 April 17 23:05 BST (UK) »
Hannah Johnson (c1826) daughter of John Johnson and Elizabeth Westgarth

I have found the baptisms of all her siblings.  All baptised Auckland St Andrew apart from one at Auckland St Helen.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Missing baptism
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 23:17 BST (UK) »
Where did Hannah come in the order of births - first - middling or last?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 23:24 BST (UK) »
Had the family moved perhaps, or baby Baptised at another church than those you mention ?
Did the baby survive early infancy, if not perhaps a sudden unexpected death before baptism.
Babies were often baptised in the first few weeks in case of death as some held  the old belief from former years  that un-Chrisomed babies went to Limbo .
 Infant deaths were fairly common even to not far back from today, those of us with grandmothers born in the 1800`s will have baby deaths in the family tree, my maternal grandmother lost three of her twelve babies in the first few months.!886(three months),1888.(9 days) and 1910.(two months).
Even as late as 1957 when my first son was born babies were Baptised at about three weeks old,
Sometimes parents of large families just forgot !Hope you solve the mystery.
                                                           Viktoria.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 23:27 BST (UK) »
I suspect the baby lived to at least the 1841 census as without a baptismal entry her identity and birthyear would be unknown

EDIT

1841 entry shows her as aged 15 with parents
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline durhamgirl73

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 19 April 17 23:29 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth
Hannah
William
Jane
Mary
Eleanor
Ruth

William baptised Auckland St Helen everyone else baptised Auckland St Andrew

Offline Ayashi

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William Wood, who was your mother??
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 20 April 17 02:02 BST (UK) »
Baptisms can be funny things. I've got one mass baptism where the eldest child was 9 years old and another where the last few children got done at once but they apparently forgot they'd already done my ancestor because he got done twice! There's my old favourite (!) "John Smith, second son of John Smith" where you can't find the first one and also I've got some who were inexplicably born halfway down the neighbouring county and I wouldn't know if it weren't for the likes of Shute Barrington.

Another question is- do you know for definite that Hannah belonged to those parents, as 1841 would not give relation to the head of household? Also, if I've seen it correctly, there would be a one year gap between the first three children (provided all christened as babies). Not impossible, mind you.

There is a christening for a Hannah JOHNSON 28 Feb 1826 St Andrew, Auckland to Thomas and Hannah nee CLARKE. Has she been traced further along the line?
~Edit- I can't see much of the census at the moment, but two results are coming up for a Hannah Johnson 1826 St Andrew on the 1841... doesn't rule her out being recorded twice but that does throw a spanner in that theory.