Author Topic: Help find parents of Margaret Roney  (Read 700 times)

Offline YO8

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help find parents of Margaret Roney
« on: Thursday 20 April 17 08:09 BST (UK) »
Help required in finding information of Margaret Roney born in Ireland about 1791. I have her in Stoneykirk Scotland about 1821 and she died 1871. On her death certificate it is stated her parents were James Roney and Mary Scott. I know the information is vague but it is all I have to go on.

Online eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help find parents of Margaret Roney
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 April 17 15:59 BST (UK) »
The 1861 Census shows Margaret living in Stoneykirk, aged 70, along with a daughter, Margaret Sproat, aged 38, and a grandson, John Kinglet, aged 5.  What is the actual relationship between the two Margarets?  What else do you know about the younger one?

Is this Margaret Sr.'s marriage in 1833:

Name: Margaret Roney
Marriage Date: 17 Dec 1833
Marriage Place: Stoneykirk,Wigtown,Scotland
Spouse:  Hugh Lally   
FHL Film Number: 1068041, 0102357

Offline YO8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 April 17 17:26 BST (UK) »
As far as I can tell Margaret Sproat is the daughter of Margaret  Roney. The parents of John Kinglet are unknown, I have researched the Kirk sessions and nothing was evident to show parentage. I think she did marry Hugh Lally but again nothing was found in the records and in fact the only mention of Hugh is in this census. It is all very vague and I have been informed that with her being of Irish descent she may well have been a catholic, so that may explain why no information is in the Kirk records

Offline josey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 April 17 17:34 BST (UK) »
Have 1 day left of subscription so looked on Rootsireland.ie; there are 7 Margaret Ro(o)n(e)y born 1791 +-5 yrs but none have father James. 2 in County Louth, 1 each in Kildare, Galway, Dublin, Down & Westmeath. No marriage of a James Ro(o)n(e)y 1780 +- 10 years but this is earlier than many parish records.

Who was the informant on the death certificate? Was it someone who was likely to have been told by Margaret herself while alive who her parents were?
Seeking: RC baptism Philip Murray Feb ish 1814 ? nr Chatham Kent.
IRE: Kik DRAY[EA], PURCELL, WHITE: Mea LYNCH: Tip MURRAY, SHEEDY: Wem ALLEN, ENGLISHBY; Dub PENROSE: Lim DUNN[E], FRAWLEY, WILLIAMS.
87th Regiment RIF: MURRAY
ENG; Marylebone HAYTER, TROU[W]SDALE, WILLIAMS,DUNEVAN Con HAMPTON, TREMELLING Wry CLEGG, HOLLAND, HORSEFIELD Coventry McGINTY
CAN; Halifax & Pictou: HOLLAND, WHITE, WILLIAMSON

Offline YO8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 April 17 18:08 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the reply. The informant on the death certificate was Margaret Sproat so I assume she was told who her grandparents were. Margaret Roney had a son named Hugh born about 1825 who named one of his daughters Mary Scott Baillie, I think she was named after his grandmother. It is the Baillie side I am researching and as you know going back is going forward?

Online eileenwilson

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 21 April 17 20:20 BST (UK) »
"I think she did marry Hugh Lally but again nothing was found in the records and in fact the only mention of Hugh is in this census."

The reference I posted was for the marriage in 1833. Have you seen the original which may name her parents?

1841 Census in Stoneykirk:

Name: Hugh Bailie
Estimated birth year: abt 1825
Where born: Wigtownshire, Scotland
Civil Parish: Stoneykirk
County: Wigtownshire
Address: Caringarrosh
Parish Number: 898
Household Members:

Name / Age

Margaret Tally  42 b. Ireland
 Margaret Spratt  20 b. Wigtownshire
 Hugh Bailie  16

So the marriage in 1833 didn't last long, and was at least a second marriage for her. Perhaps she was married as many as three times; hence, the different surnames for the kids.  You should have a look at the actual image on ScotlandsPeople.

1851 Census
Stoneykirk:

Margret Sally  60
 Margret Sproat  29
 Hugh Baillie  26
 James Hires  6
 William Johnston  2
 James Ghram  22

Offline YO8

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 April 17 05:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Eileen, I have seen the marriage record for Margaret and Hugh Lally (Sally) it is an Old Parish Record which gives names and that they were members of the parish unfortunately does not give parents names. As I stated in an earlier post it was on her death certificate that her parents are named. In all the census information I have it is stated that she was born in Ireland, I assume that farm workers crossed the Irish Sea in both directions depending on work. It is all very vague but that's what makes it interesting

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 April 17 16:40 BST (UK) »
there is a James Roney in the Tithe records
Roney James Ballygillis  Rossdroit Wexford 1825
May be the James or a son or brother.
Maggsie

Offline YO8

• RootsChat Extra