Author Topic: Female conscription in WW2  (Read 947 times)

Offline John Knights

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Female conscription in WW2
« on: Thursday 20 April 17 12:03 BST (UK) »
In December 1944 my father wrote to his sister that "Norah (Knights) has lost her appeal (against call-up)". I've been unable to find any record or report of this appeal. She was living in Hexham at the time, but a search of the Hexham Courant has so far revealed nothing. As far as we know, the call-up was never proceeded with, presumably because the war in Europe was drawing to a close by that time.
Any suggestions welcomed.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
Re: Female conscription in WW2
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 April 17 13:30 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat.

This might help with the background - who was called up and for what. I guess that Norah fitted into one of those categories but felt that she had reasons not to serve. I suspect that there were quite a few appeals and that it wouldn't be reported in local papers. It may just have been a case of the person writing a letter giving reasons and someone in an office stamping refused on it!

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/womeninuniform/wwii_intro.htm
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John Knights

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 April 17 15:41 BST (UK) »
Many thanks. I'm reasonably OK as to the background. In Mum's particular case, I have reason to believe that in her capacity as a children's nanny she was felt to be indispensible by her employer, who may very likely to have attempted to try to pull strings. What puzzles me, though, is that one would have expected there to be official files with details of the eligible women, as well as minutes of the appeals tribunal, and reports in the local press of rejected appeals.

Offline groom

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me aged 3. Tidied up thanks to Wiggy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 April 17 19:45 BST (UK) »
Don't forget we were in the middle of a war, there may not have been tribunals, as I said it could just have been a case of an official deciding you had no grounds for appeal and that was it.

This post might be better on the Armed Forces WW2 section as there are some very knowledgeable people there who may know the answer. I'll ask a Mod to move it.
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline John Knights

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 20 April 17 22:33 BST (UK) »
Many thanks! I did hesitate over that one, but as with your greater experience you feel it appropriate, I'm happy with the switch.