Author Topic: How to sort out my absolute mess of a family history folder?  (Read 2262 times)

Offline snuttall

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
How to sort out my absolute mess of a family history folder?
« on: Thursday 20 April 17 22:12 BST (UK) »
How do you keep yourselves organised?

I have somehow ended up with about 12 different Family Tree Maker trees, plus folder upon folder of random saved documents, images, screenshots, musings, notes, etc.

I'd really like to put some order into it. Any tips appreciated!

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
Re: How to sort out my absolute mess of a family history folder?
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 20 April 17 23:09 BST (UK) »
How do you keep yourselves organised?

plus folder upon folder of random saved documents, images, screenshots, musings, notes, etc.

are these computer folders or paper ones?

I've about 20 sub-folders in my FamilyHistory folder on computer
BMDs, soldiers-and-sailors, censuses, etc etc

Also my paper stuff is divided roughly the same way

I haven't bothered with a family-tree at all - just an outline I drew myself.
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline miw

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 20 April 17 23:16 BST (UK) »
For paper records I use a separate document wallet for each branch.  The first sheet in each wallet lists the people included in that one showing BMD dates and which censuses they have been found on, also which wallet their parents/spouse/children are in if not in the same one.

Offline mijath

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 20 April 17 23:52 BST (UK) »
I have a folder for each grandparent. Inside that is a folder for each surname. Inside each surname folder are two word documents - one an overview of key events for each person of each generation (births/baptisms, marriages and deaths/burials), the other a biography of the family working backwards. Also in each surname folder are folders for each generation, in which I keep all census returns, copies of certificates, parish register images, wills etc relating to that specific generation.

If anyone's wondering, I'm currently at 5,679 Files in 489 Folders.  ;D
Thorpe, Feak & Townsend (Norfolk) / Ormandy & Slater (Dalton-in-Furness) / Corner (Liverpool) / Wray (Lincolnshire) / Fidler, Bridge & Turner (Derbyshire)

Offline Mike Morrell (NL)

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Netherlands
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 21 April 17 01:40 BST (UK) »
I'm re-organising my folder too. I started off just using Ancestry online and later imported all the data into FTM 2014. But all the file names were completely meaningless. As far as I know FTM looks for all media in one folder. So I keep all my data files related to people and families (census) in one folder.

To make some sense of these, I've renamed the 'people files' so that they're ordered on surname, forenames, birth year and type (birth/baptism/marriage/household+year/death/note/photo+nr). Filenames of marriages name both partners (surnames, forenames, birth years). Census records are ordered by surname +"Household", Town or village, census year, forenames and birth year of the head of household.

I keep a To-do list and research notes (ordered on surname) in a separate folder.

The main reason for doing this painstaking work was that I wanted to 'manage my data' independently of any specific software like FTM or Rootsmagic. The system is not perfect but all the files related to families and people are automatically listed together.

Mike

Photo restorers may re-use and improve on my posted versions. Acknowledgement appreciated.

Offline Gartag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 11 September 19 15:34 BST (UK) »
I'm reasonably ok with computer filing but still having a problem sorting out the paper (hard copies) documents.
I stared with a specifically bought binder for certificates and thought the best order would to start with the latest and work back; i.e. my Marriage (death not available yet) then birth, Fathers Death, Marriage then Birth and onto his fathers etc etc.
I have a separate ring binder for census print outs. but dithering about whether to have them by family generation in reverse date order or surname - reverse date order.  the trouble being that as the 'kids' grow up they move out and start their own family group (so do I ignore the parent and just follow down direct line?)
In several cases the family are divided across several census where the father is with a sister, the mother and 2 children with his aunts, 2 other children are with grandparents.  Obviously a temporary arrangement whilst moving into new home just as the census was taken.  So just how do I organise the census?  Maybe multiple copies and have a file for each person with each having a copy???
Family tree? More like family rain forest!
So, has anyone worked out a nice, easy, methodical way of keeping and cross-referencing their paperwork?
B, M, D, Certificates:-   Census Returns:- Bapt records, Burial/Cremation records:-
Passengers lists:-
Main Stream:- Gregory, Bridgwater, Dazely.
Tributaries:- Broomhead, Warner, Eyre.
Areas: UK- Derbyshire 1750-1900, Manchester 1900- now,
        India- Jubblepore, Kirkee, Lucknow. (Bridgwater/Dazely 1890-1925)

Offline Mart 'n' Al

• RootsChat Leaver
  • RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 11 September 19 17:54 BST (UK) »
Here are just a few random thoughts. I absolutely hate duplication of data, whether digital or hard copy. The only exception to that of course is having at least two backups of all your computer data.

Try and mirror your computer filing system for your hard copy documents. Many genealogy software products would give you the option to cross link to the hard copy of a document.

For example, with the one I use, you import the document from your hard disk into the software.   You then attach that document to any relevant people. For example, each member of the family appearing on a census document would be linked to a census document. The bride and groom and witnesses and parents etc would be linked to a marriage document.

I also think that as you start developing a system you will think of your own additional ideas.

As I promised you, just a few random thoughts.

Martin

Offline Gartag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 11 September 19 23:05 BST (UK) »
Thanks Martin,

I will definitely look into what my software (MyHeritage) can do on that.  However, I was looking into how I can organise my Paper documents into a 'showcase' to be able to show family members that don't do computers. also, I don't have the equipment to take my electronic files into record offices when I'm on field trips.  When searching through and find additional documentation I have no idea if I already have it.  it wold be handy to easily locate what I have at the time.

Although while typing this another thought has occurred to me. As I am also compiling a short life story on each ancester i could use that to tie in the relevant documents... maybe... I think  lol

Garth
Main Stream:- Gregory, Bridgwater, Dazely.
Tributaries:- Broomhead, Warner, Eyre.
Areas: UK- Derbyshire 1750-1900, Manchester 1900- now,
        India- Jubblepore, Kirkee, Lucknow. (Bridgwater/Dazely 1890-1925)

guest189040

« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 11 September 19 23:13 BST (UK) »
Firstly software

I use Roots Magic on our PC and Reunion on our Mac because it does great charts and screen captures on a 5k MAC are pretty good.

Now for all the images, documents, certificates etc mine are primarily electronic so I keep track of them via an Excel spreadsheet and have it set up with filters so I can sort it and there is a link in a cell for each record so the record can easily be opened.