Author Topic: John Sampson burial record  (Read 4478 times)

Offline Foehn

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Sampson burial record
« on: Saturday 22 April 17 00:27 BST (UK) »
Looking for help to find burial records for the above person. According to information already found in available papers, he died in Marysville, Yuba, Ca on 22 Sept 1850. He has a probate record on Ancestry (301 pages) but I cannot access that and no guarantee there is anything about his burial.
John Sampson
Probate date:   31 Jul 1852
Probate place:   Yuba, California, USA
Inferred death year:   Abt 1852
Inferred death place:   California, USA
Case number:   56
Item description:   Probate Case Files, No. 1-56, 1850-1852 and there is a little about the proceedings started in Marysville by his brother William Henry Sampson. (Marysville daily newspaper) However, I'd like to know where he was buried. Can anyone help? Thanks.

Offline Lisa in California

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: John Sampson burial record
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 April 17 08:23 BST (UK) »
Do you know if he had family elsewhere in California at the time of his death?

I've only looked at a small portion of the probate file, but on image number 1403 from the paysite, it describes "funeral expenses of J. Sampson".

The following page has expenses such as
funeral expenses
druggists acct
clergyman's burial fee, etc.

I cannot easily read the writing, but also written on the page is:
"Carriage for J Sampson to? San Jose(?)" and possibly "$64.00"

Could he have been transported to San Jose, California for burial?
Does it even actually state "Carriage for J Sampson to San Jose - $64.00"?   :-\

I may be able to read more of the document tomorrow; or, perhaps someone else may be able to take a look at the writing.  (It is late, here in California.)   ;)
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

Offline Foehn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 April 17 13:26 BST (UK) »
Thanks Lisa for your response. yes he did have other family in Marysville, Yuba Ca. Two other brothers were there. William Henry Sampson and Charles Beverley  Sampson were his brothers, and Camilla Beverly Scott Sampson was Charles' daughter (Later Klein). William is buried in the Marysville cemetery. Find A Grave Memorial# 79450127
William Henry was administrating probate. Yes transport to San Jose may have been possible. Just haven't found him in any burial records for there, but then i don't know what cemeteries may have existed then either.

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 April 17 21:13 BST (UK) »
"...I cannot easily read the writing, but also written on the page is:
"Carriage for J Sampson to? San Jose(?)" and possibly "$64.00"

Could he have been transported to San Jose, California for burial?
Does it even actually state "Carriage for J Sampson to San Jose - $64.00"?..."

If the above wording is correct, his remains may have been transported to San Jose, but there is a chance that he could have been buried near San Jose, not necessarily within the city limits.  It is possible that arrangements were made to hire someone else to transport the remains to a cemetery.

When I come to a block in my own research, I try to think about logical ways to proceed.  Was he buried in/near San Jose and if so, why?  Is it known where he died?  Did he purchase a plot prior to his death?  Did he mention a wish to be buried in that area prior to his death?  Somewhere I read that he arrived in California, from Chile.  Were his remains brought back to Chile, to a town named San Jose?  I've not yet found any newspaper reports of his death.  Did he pass away in California?

Wording from image 1403 (apologies for any errors - I'm not used to the penmanship style - some words are purely guesses)  :-\   :
Estate of J. Sampson ? CB Sampson
Carriage for J Sampson to? San? Jose? - 64.00
Bill ah? Mansion house             36.00
Blankets or Blanket, Calico uc? for fitting? house 150.00
Paid Dr for Medical Attendance  84.00
Funeral Expenses                    120.00
Board during? illness?               40.00
Druggists Acct                           24.00
Clergyman's burial Fee             48.00
Rec? Amount C.B. Sampson  $566.00
         Allowed WH Sampson
                      Admin?
Additional wording underneath about Charles B Sampson stating that the amount is just...
Ellison: Co. Wicklow/Canada       Fowley: Sligo/Canada       Furnival: Lancashire/Canada       Ibbotson: Sheffield/Canada       Lee/DeJongh: Lancashire & Cheshire       Mumford: Essex/Canada       Ovens: Ireland/Canada       Sarge: Yorkshire/Canada             Stuart: Sligo/Canada       Sullivan: Co. Clare/Canada      Vaus: Sussex/Surrey      Wakefield: Tuam or Ballinasloe, Ireland              (Surname: Originated/Place Last Lived)  (Canadians lived in Ontario)

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 April 17 22:16 BST (UK) »
Have you found (the correct) John Sampson in the 1850 census?  :-\

Offline Foehn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 24 April 17 00:38 BST (UK) »
I'm confident I have the right John Sampson. From the Creaser file
" Level   Piece
Finding No   DDX1408/1/23/569
Extent   1 item
Title   Creaser emigration index card relating to John Sampson originally of Leven
Date   nd. [late 20th century]
Description   Information:
Died California 22 Sep 1850, 2nd son of late Rev, George Sampson, Rector of Leven
Source:
Hull Advertiser 10 Jan 1851

Two of his brothers, (William and Charles) were in NZ from mid-late 1830s and left for California 1848-50. Shipping and newspaper articles supports this and of course OH is descended from William. John on the other hand had met Jose Ramirez who had travelled from Chile where he lived, to London and Paris to study art (He was an accomplished artist) and we think that's where John Sampson met him.   They all trained in the School of engineering in Yorkshire, so could have turned their hand to mining, or management of mining.

John is mentioned in this piece about Ramirez  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jos%C3%A9_Manuel_Ram%C3%ADrez_Rosales

I don't know when the 1850 census was published and it may have been taken after September when John died.
In Marysville Daily Herald, Number 36, 6 December 1850 https://cdnc.ucr.edu/cgi-bin/cdnc?a=d&d=MDH18501206.2.5.2&srpos=11&e=06-12-1850-01-12-1851--en--20-MDH-1--txt-txIN-Administrator's+notice-----
there is an Administrators notice re the estate of John Sampson. His brother William is the Administrator.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 24 April 17 11:22 BST (UK) »
The 1850 census date was June 1, so all questions were supposed to be answered about who was living at that location then.

Offline Foehn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 24 April 17 23:38 BST (UK) »
Ok, after searching for a possible census connection for John in 1850, I have a possible.

http://i392.photobucket.com/albums/pp8/stikkibeek/JScensus1850_zpsotljzwcq.jpg
Can anyone decipher his occupation? I think it is "seaman" but unsure as he was trading commodities in Marysville, along with land speculation. They were generally known as "Gentlemen" or "adventurers", as they had independent means.

Offline Foehn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 01:44 BST (UK) »
And now I'm pretty sure I haven't.  :'( That census page has a tick to say he was married. We have found no evidence of that. Also, the page is dated 7 Nov. 1850, so although the census may have been supposed to be 1 June 1850, in fact the 170 odd pages are dated up to 17th march 1851, with the 0 crossed through by a 1 and a different enumerator than the page "John" was on.
I find it interesting that all the pages I  looked at on this census, shows men only.
There were just 2 references that could have been him; his age and his place of birth.

Lisa, thinking about the suddenness of his death, I wonder if John wasn't an early victim of cholera or typhoid after all there is mention of doctor and illness and druggist fees you have managed to pull from the probate record. I looked through the burial list of people in the old Sacramento cemetery, and although there are some Sampson burials, none of them is John.  Could it be he is in a mass grave? Just thoughts racing through my head.