Author Topic: Dating a Carte-de-Visite Thomas LANGLER (senior or junior)  (Read 1382 times)

Offline VirgoArcher

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dating a Carte-de-Visite Thomas LANGLER (senior or junior)
« on: Saturday 22 April 17 07:13 BST (UK) »
Hi All,
I am new to Rootsweb and I would really appreciate some help. I am trying to date this Carte-de-visite to determine which Thomas LANGLER (senior or junior) it is. Thomas Snr was born in 1829 in Southall, London and his son, Thomas Jnr, was born in St Marylebone, London, in 1862. Assuming they would be maybe mid-20's + this would make the date between 1855-1890. I was trying to date by the clothes (1884?)but I am not sure. There is no background or lines around the CDV and the only other clue is the name of the photographer (Monsieur Louis Frederic De Mauny) and his address (326 Euston Rd).He had a studio at that address between 1877-1911 and his son, Jules Frederic, also a photographer, was living at that address until after 1901. They were also located at various other addresses over the years. I am hoping someone can help me.

Offline AJ100

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Dating a Carte-de-Visite Thomas LANGLER (senior or junior)
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 April 17 11:12 BST (UK) »
If Thomas Senior was born 1829 that would date the photo to around 1850, if he was around 20 years old when it was taken. This is not likely.
Thomas Junior born 1862 dates the picture to around the 1880's which would fit in with the dress and the likelihood of a CDV and is far more likely.

Regards

AJ

Offline Handypandy

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 April 17 12:26 BST (UK) »
A welcome from me ................... and a quick wash and brush up

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 April 17 13:13 BST (UK) »
Hi and welcome to Rootschat....Thomas Junior most likely...the format doesn't fit with the 1850s and neither does the fashion.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline VirgoArcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 April 17 15:03 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone,

I appreciate everybody's help and you have confirmed what I was  thinking and I appreciate the clean up of the photo. Would love to learn how to do that. Can you recommend any tutorials etc to teach myself.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 April 17 15:24 BST (UK) »
You could try this free Photo Manipulation programme and there are you-tube tutorials on line:

https://www.gimp.org/

I use Photoshop Elements but know many who use Gimp with good results.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline VirgoArcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 23 April 17 01:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Carol,

Appreciate the advice. I have recently purchased Photoshop Elements but now have to find the time to learn it as there is a lot more to it than I thought! Will definitely have a look at YouTube tutorials as I learn much quicker when shown how rather than reading about it. Thank you.

Marilyn  :)

Offline jloy326

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 23 April 17 04:15 BST (UK) »
Wasnt sure if there actually is a mark on lip, or photo damage, but can be removed.
If a task is once begun never leave it till it's done. Be the labor great or small, do it well or not at all.

Offline VirgoArcher

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 23 April 17 05:12 BST (UK) »
That is wonderful! I can see I have a lot to learn from you and Carol - thank you both. (I checked the CDV carefully and it appears he does have a mark on his upper lip). This is the only photo I have of this gentleman but he bears a striking resemblance to his great-grandson.
Kind regards

Marilyn