Author Topic: New GRO pilot birth and death indexes - discover lost children - mortality rates  (Read 3702 times)

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
One implication of the fact we now have maiden names recorded for births back to 1837 that I realised (previously only I think back to 1911?), is the ability to search for children that died as infants and never appeared on censuses, especially useful with more common surnames.
   I am not sure if it's a coincidence or not, but in London I have found particularly high infant mortality. In one family in Hackney in the 1870s, the last four out of five all died less than 2 years old, with the father dying shortly after the last was born. They were all buried in public graves in Abney Park Cemetery (free search http://www.devsys.co.uk/AP/ ). In another slightly better off family living in Bishopsgate in the 1850s & 60s, out of 12 children, 5 died under 14 years old.

https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/certificates/default.asp

Deaths now also list age at death back to 1837 where it was previously only back to around mid 1860s, useful to narrow down which is the right one if there are multiple candidates.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: New GRO pilot birth and death indexes - discover lost children - mortality rates
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 22 April 17 17:41 BST (UK) »
The mortality rate for children was always much higher in the city than rural areas, the close  proximity in which people lived, meant diseases spread more rapidly. Poor sanitation also had a significant effect.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: New GRO pilot birth and death indexes - discover lost children - mortality rates
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 22 April 17 17:44 BST (UK) »

Deaths now also list age at death back to 1837 where it was previously only back to around mid 1860s, useful to narrow down which is the right one if there are multiple candidates.

Be aware that on that index some deaths of children showing as under 12 could be months not years
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 22 April 17 17:49 BST (UK) »

Be aware that on that index some deaths of children showing as under 12 could be months not years

And some are weeks or days.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline melba_schmelba

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 22 April 17 17:58 BST (UK) »
The mortality rate for children was always much higher in the city than rural areas, the close  proximity in which people lived, meant diseases spread more rapidly. Poor sanitation also had a significant effect.
Yes, I suppose pollution of varying sorts, sewerage, smoke, various hazardous chemicals and by- products being drained into streets & sewers etc. just added to the city being a terrible place to bring up children.

Ah, that's no good ::)! I have noticed a few mistakes already which I sent corrections in for.

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 22 April 17 18:09 BST (UK) »

And some are weeks or days.

Very true  ;D  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 22 April 17 18:18 BST (UK) »

I've come across instances where the actual ages were up to 24 months, for which I have birth certificates, death certificates and/or burial records, so I now regard any age up to 24 in the GRO index as potentially iffy.

Surely the GRO must have recorded the time unit when they transcribed the records. If so, I really don't understand why they haven't got around to updating the display. Simply including the unit (y, m, w, d, h) would suffice.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson

Offline StevieSteve

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 22 April 17 18:40 BST (UK) »
They have been carrying out three separate delivery trials since they released the search so they haven't exactly been sitting on their hands.

I'm going to assume that they'll amend the format as part of the feedback generated
Middlesex: KING,  MUMFORD, COOK, ROUSE, GOODALL, BROWN
Oxford: MATTHEWS, MOSS
Kent: SPOONER, THOMAS, KILLICK, COLLINS
Cambs: PRIGG, LEACH
Hants: FOSTER
Montgomery: BREES
Surrey: REEVE

Offline cuffie81

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 22 April 17 18:58 BST (UK) »
My gut feeling is that if they have the data it'd be a trivial change to include the unit on the death records.

At the absolute minimum they could at least correct the wording from 'Age at Death (in years)' so it's not misleading.
Anderson Banks Beard Brewer Caves Clarke Clinch Cooling Cuff Denton Gamble Gibson Gunn Hunt Mills Muncey Norris Notzke Reid Robinson Searle Smith Trundle Turner Weedon Wells Wilson