Author Topic: Patrick Sweeney in Philadelphia  (Read 785 times)

Offline Alonza0

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Patrick Sweeney in Philadelphia
« on: Sunday 23 April 17 13:28 BST (UK) »
    I'm looking for a Patrick Sweeney. He's mentioned on a gg aunt Catherine (Cassie) McCahill's immigration papers as being the person she's going to reside with (uncle). I assume he's the younger brother of her mother, Anne Sweeney, but I can't find anything mentioning parents or relatives for him.

Here's what I know.
    • 1905 - Cassie McCahill immigrates to the United States and mentions "Uncle Pat Sweeney, Brandywine 81, Phila" as her destination.
    • 1905 - a Patk Sweeney, laborer, is listed as living at 3737 Brandywine.
    • 1910 - A Patrick J Sweeney still lives at 3737 Brandywine, with a wife, Mary. He's was born about 1873, which is a significant difference from Cassie McCahill's mother, who would have been born around 1848. It says he immigrated in 1895 and has naturalization papers.
    • 1918 - A Patrick Joseph Sweeney registers for the draft with that address, born 1872, but he's listed as "native born," not naturalized. His wife is still listed as Mary.
    • 1920 - A Patrick and Mary Sweeney are now at 3731 Brandywine, and Patrick's back to being a naturalized citizen, immigrated 1893.
    • 1923 - A Mary Sweeney, wife of Patrick, passes away. She's mentioned as being from Mount Charles, Co. Donegal, where Cassie McCahill's family is from.
    • 1927 - A Patrick Sweeney dies. Not much information is given, except for a wife named Mary and a birth year around the right time. The witness' address is a few blocks from the Sweeneys on Brandywine.
    • 1927 - This Patrick is given an obituary in the paper, again, without much info.

I'm not sure that these are all the right Patrick, given how much the information fluctuates, but I'd love to know. If anyone can give me any help, I'd much appreciate it. Ultimately, I'm trying to connect this Patrick to one of Cassie McCahill's parents. Her mother's maiden name was Sweeney, so it seems most likely that he's her maternal uncle, though I don't know much about that family except that they're from Co. Donegal, Ireland. The other possibility is that he's the husband of one of her father's sisters - either Mary (b. 1842) or Sarah (b. 1831), though it seems unlikely.

If anyone could track down his immigration info (1893-5) or marriage info (1895-ish) or anything at all with a parent's name, I'd be extremely grateful.

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Patrick Sweeney in Philadelphia
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 23 April 17 14:23 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat! There are a number of trees online with Patrick Sweeney in. Although you will of course need to check everything out well to make sure the information is correct. His birth certificate is online in one of the trees and it shows him as being born 12/1/1874 Mount Charles, Donegal, Ireland. Father Dominick and mother Winifred (Unity) Meehan. Dominick was from Drumkeelan, Ireland. Patrick's wife Mary appears to have the same surname as him before she married-Mary T Sweeney, maybe she was his cousin at a guess. They married in 1894. Hope this helps.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 23 April 17 14:39 BST (UK) »
The actual birth certificate lists Patrick as born Drumkelan which is where the family also lived- certificate does not list father's birthplace. Mother is Unity Meeghan. Mount Charles is the sub-district for registration-
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1874/03161/2159414.pdf

I have come across several immigration records where the 'aunt' or 'uncle' is actually a cousin but suppose aunt/uncle sounded better when person was giving an address in America.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Alonza0

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 23 April 17 16:06 BST (UK) »
I can't believe how quickly you guys were able to track that information down. Thank you so much! Drumkelan is right down the road from where Cassie McCahill's family was from, so that would make sense.

Now I'm going to ask what I'm sure is an extremely naive newbie question, but, Paco, when you say you see Patrick Sweeney on a number trees, where are you seeing that?

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 23 April 17 16:34 BST (UK) »
I will send you a PM
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 April 17 16:54 BST (UK) »
I think the passenger list says Brandywine St. rather than Brandywine 81.

I think this is Patrick & Mary in 1900 - https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M3W4-MKT

In case it helps, Mary's death certificate says her parents were Michael Mcgonigle and Ann Dever.