Author Topic: William McIntyre born approx 1820  (Read 3146 times)

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: William McIntyre born approx 1820
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 20:07 BST (UK) »
Might James McIntyre have remarried ?

A James McIntyre seems to have  married a Leah Bates in Newcastle Dec 1852.

1861 James (showing as b Scotland c1897 and a proprietor of houses) and Leah are recorded in Tynemouth.

1871 James and Leah are recorded in Cromwell Street Gateshead. James is showing as being born Lanark Scotland c 1895 and a retired brass founder - this occupation seems to tie up with the 1851 census.(Lanark here might refer to the county of Lanarkshire which includes Glasgow).

1881 James is living in Burt Terrace, Gateshead aged 85. James is recorded as a gentleman. Also in the household is his sister in law Mary A Bates,a widow age 70 and housekeeper..

The probate calendar shows that this James McIntyre left a will and died 2 Oct 1882.

If this is indeed the correct James McIntyre the 1852 marriage cert would give the name and occupation of his father while the 1882 will would hopefully confirm the connection to son or stepson William.

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline flower fairy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 22:42 BST (UK) »
Millmoor.

Yes he did remarry a Leah Bates. Not sure why I have never thought to order the certificate.
Thank you  ;D
Rundle, Beard, Crewes- Cornwall
Green, Tucker- Devon
Dyer, White- Somerset
Gardiner(+variants), Gibson, Watson, Patterson, Nicholson- Durham
Nicholson, Burns, Mcintyre- Northumberland
Mcintyre- Scotland

Offline flower fairy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Tuesday 24 April 18 22:46 BST (UK) »
Thank you Trish!

I share your confusion, Flower Fairy... you are not alone!  ;) I can't say how many times I've revisited this side of the family. It isn't my website; I just happened upon it some years ago. The descendant in question appears to be Elizabeth Hughes Clark (b. 1905 d. 1985), granddaughter of William and Susan.

Ha ha. I am gong to have to look at this line again now. Maybe 2 heads will be better than 1 in this case  ;)
Green, Tucker- Devon
Dyer, White- Somerset
Mcintyre- Scotland

Offline flower fairy

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 25 April 18 07:06 BST (UK) »
Millmoor.

Yes he did remarry a Leah Bates. Not sure why I have never thought to order the certificate.
Thank you  ;D

OK so it was late last night when I wrote about ordering the certificate because lying in bed last night I realised that I had it.

Marriage in Oct 1852 James McIntyre widower, brass finisher, father James McIntyre soldier. married Leah Bates, spinster, father William Bates, mariner.    From Scotlands People, (knowing that from census James was born in Glasgow) I then found a James McInytre born 1797 in Glasgow, father James McIntyre a soldier in the 6th regiment of fencibles and mother Christian Johnston . This is what I believe to be the parents of my James McInyre.

Green, Tucker- Devon
Dyer, White- Somerset
Mcintyre- Scotland