Author Topic: Research in Dublin  (Read 1081 times)

Offline iem

• RootsChat Member
  • Magrath-Crowe & Magrath-McClean family of Dublin
    • View Profile
Research in Dublin
« on: Tuesday 25 April 17 16:21 BST (UK) »
I will be spending a few days in Dublin and am just dying to do some further FH research.  But now I have started trying to plan a little, I realise I could waste lots of time if I don't get it right.

The bit of the Magrath family (COI) that I'm focussed on spreads out from a Wm Christopher Magrath 1800-1873 who was a clerk in the Dublin Court of Chancery, & who married the daughter (Susannah McClean) of a Lucan-based blacksmith, and possibly lived there until starting at Chancery in 1840, after which he lived mostly in the St George area.

I would appreciate any guidance anyone who knows the possibilities for Dublin FH research - my enthusiasm is being severely attacked by  a sense of desperation at not really knowing how best to spend my time.

(I haven't put in too much detail here, but would be more than happy to elaborate on what I've got/done so far online).

Many thanks in anticipation of willingness to engage with what may be the kind of impossible question that gets repeated rather a lot. :-\
Magrath, Dublin & Lucan & Cavan
Carruthers/Crothers, Dublin
Crowe, Dublin
McClean, Dublin, Lucan, Armagh & Newry
Sharp, Wilburton & Cambridge,
Laffon - Castres en Tarn, Bordeaux, Amsterdam, Dublin

Offline eadaoin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Reilg Chill Barróg
    • View Profile
Re: Research in Dublin
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 17:54 BST (UK) »
Maybe your best bet is to reply here with a list of things you'd like to follow-up.

Then some of us could tell you where to go.

people's graves?
ancestral houses?
etc etc
Begg - Dublin, Limerick, Cardiff
Brady - Dublin
Breslin - Wexford, Dublin
Byrne - Wicklow
O'Hara - Wexford, Kingstown
McLoghlin - Roscommon
Lawlor - Meath, Dublin
Lynam - Meath and Renovo, Pennsylvania
Everard - Meath
Fagan - Dublin
Meyler/Myler - Wicklow
Gray - Derry, Waterford
Kavanagh - Limerick

Offline iem

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 18:51 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Eadoin. Here goes.
1. Cemeteries:
This seemed like an obvious place to go, but I just got a very useful reply from Mt Jerome, who confirmed some burials of family - but no headstone - so that would have confirmed my fears of wasting my visit.  St Mary COI and St George  and Lucan COI seem other obvious' - tho I read in an old old Roots chat query that St George is all overgrown?  Are visits possible, if not how else could I find out about their burials - online or archive?

2. The Lucan connection:
I want to find any more at all about the below.  Are there archives/newspapers not available online that I can visit? Where?
- Chrstr Wm McClean - Blacksmith given Ancient Freedom 1802, beaten up 1837 for voting Conservative, in 1846 Directory as Blacksmith, 1850 (or son same name same occupation) Lucan court summons.  No info on BMD. Don't know exactly where he lived.
- Chrstr McClean (son) - blacksmith, Ancient Freedom, 1823 army recruitment in Lucan, army Drummer until 1835 with refs to Armagh. No info on BMD. No other info.
- Susannah McClean, dghtr of Chrstr Wm - married Wm Magrath 1831 Cons License.  Died 1870 - no birth info
- Wm Chrstr Magrath 1800-1873.  No birth other family info. A Wm Magrath was beaten up 1837 with CW McClean above.  A Wm Magrath was a liquor vendor in Lucan 1830s.  Were these my WC Magrath/his father/somebody else?  I have no family for WC Magrath and just 3 siblings for son Wm Magrath - Christopher, Robert Charles & Annie.  Haven't been able to find more. 

3. The Law connection:
- Wm Chrstr Magrath & son Wm Magrath & this last's father-in-law James Crowe were all Law Clerks.  WCM in Court of Chancery - am convinced could only have got there thro patronage.  Who were his family? Some were probably alive and in Dublin - so finding out about the other Magraths involved in the law business in late C18/earlyC19 Dublin would be useful (or at least 'eliminate them from my enquiries?)

4. BMD info - I have some specific queries with the vol/page references that I would like to look up, but have the impression this could get quite expensive - is that the case?

Crowe, Dublin

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 19:51 BST (UK) »
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 19:53 BST (UK) »
"....BMD info - I have some specific queries with the vol/page references that I would like to look up, but have the impression this could get quite expensive - is that the case?...."

Have you checked to see if they are online?
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 19:53 BST (UK) »
4. BMD info - I have some specific queries with the vol/page references that I would like to look up, but have the impression this could get quite expensive - is that the case?

Many certificates now online (free) and more still being added so it really just depends on what sort of record and the date.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 23:59 BST (UK) »

Many certificates now online (free) and more still being added so it really just depends on what sort of record and the date.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/civil-search.jsp
and the ones that don't have images on line yet are only €4 for a photo copy, which can be purchased using the form https://www.irishgenealogy.ie/en/civil-records/help/i-want-to-get-a-copy-of-a-certificate-what-do-i-do or in Werburgh Street, Dublin 2

If you are going to the library this might be useful
http://www.dublincity.ie/story/get-full-article-newspapers-online-library

Offline iem

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 06 May 17 15:35 BST (UK) »
Thankyou Hallmark for the ref- I hadn't logged that.  The irishgeanealogy online material is wonderful, but access so far to the detail of certificates seems to be late nineteenth century on.  I have quite a few certificates that I would like to check out/eliminate from my enquiries, so unless they're fairly certain the 4 euro tag is a disincentive.
The newspaper ref I will check out at NLI - plus having looked at your ref I can see NLI has various subscription sites that can be accessed from the library.  Think this will keep me busy...
Many thanks all.
Crowe, Dublin