Author Topic: Help with Henry HARRISON born 1871 in Tynemouth  (Read 1889 times)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help with Henry HARRISON born 1871 in Tynemouth
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 27 April 17 03:08 BST (UK) »
According to a more detailed tree on ancestry Henry Harrison was born 4th July 1871 at 11 Browns Building, Tynemouth (birth registered by his father on 28/7/1871) - I'm guessing the submitter of the tree must have birth certificate to have these details.

They have him dying in the June quarter 1939 Newcastle but none of the trees seem to have confirmed this with death certificate.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 April 17 07:21 BST (UK) »
He obviously upset someone if that was the case, the executors appear to be his two youngest sons

Hi Rosie,

Can I just check we are talking about Robert's kids? As in Henry's brothers?

Thanks,

Michael

I assumed they were Henrys brothers the first names seem to fit.  It appears on the probate index https://probatesearch.service.gov.uk/#wills
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 April 17 12:33 BST (UK) »
Wow!

Thank you all so much for your help, it looks like we have an answer after all of these years.

I have looked on the newspaper archive myself, both on FindMyPast and in North Shields library's indexes and have never found any mention of him and yet there they are.

I do wonder what happened to him after all of this, as I say the family are still listed in the same address in 1911 but he isn't, I wonder where he went?

I'll see if I can find the family tree mentioned by Annette and maybe send the owner a message, they may know a little more.

I hadn't seen the probate search Rosie linked to before, that could prove quite useful as well, is that the same as the information on Ancestry or is it different?

Thanks again for the help everyone,

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Thursday 27 April 17 12:50 BST (UK) »

I hadn't seen the probate search Rosie linked to before, that could prove quite useful as well, is that the same as the information on Ancestry or is it different?

It is where Ancestry get there information from but you don't need a subscription to look at it  ;D
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 29 April 17 12:32 BST (UK) »
Hi All,

I've been in the library this morning and found a newspaper cutting about the court order Margaret was granted in 1899. It says her husband had recently inherited £214 and since then had done no work.

Is there a way I can find out who left him the money as I haven't got any relative on the tree who died round about that time who may have left him the money?

I have tried searching the probate index on ancestry by it doesn't seem to look for people named in the wills.

Thanks for the help,

Michael
Dale (Newcastle Upon Tyne), Beck, English, Hall, Harrison, Stephenson (all from the North Shields, South Shields area), Woodger (from the Newcastle and Liss areas)

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 29 April 17 13:16 BST (UK) »
Is there a way I can find out who left him the money as I haven't got any relative on the tree who died round about that time who may have left him the money?

I have tried searching the probate index on ancestry by it doesn't seem to look for people named in the wills.

The beneficiaries of a will are not made public, so there is no way to search for them.  Your best bet would probably be to expand your tree to take in aunts, uncles, grandparents & possibly even cousins on both the Harrison & Lowe branches to see if any deaths come up around that time, but there is no guarantee that the money was left by a family member.

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 29 April 17 21:37 BST (UK) »
I'll give that a try, thanks very much for the advice.

Michael

Offline Shiny1

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 04 July 17 17:06 BST (UK) »
Just in case anyone was interested in this story I managed to get into Tyne and Wear archives for an hour today looking for a different relative in the Tynemouth workhouse admission registers and happened to spot Henry's name there!

He signed himself in on the 18th of April 1905 so roughly 1 year after his last court appearance.

I didn't have time to go through the discharge registers, that will have to be a job for another day, so I don't know how long he was there, however I still can't find him in the 1911 census either so I presume he must have left the workhouse by then, but still an interesting twist to his story.

Michael