Author Topic: Looking for Patrick & Elizabeth  (Read 3943 times)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for Patrick & Elizabeth
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 27 April 17 16:42 BST (UK) »
Interesting  clues in the preview snippets. Need play around with search criteria to see more.

Marriage: http://www.rootschat.com/links/01k02/

Probate court & lawsuits: 

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01k03/

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01k04/

1915-1916 see something about bankruptcy and  Patrick J Hartnett of New York, former proprietor of the American House

http://www.rootschat.com/links/01k05/

Hi thank you for links but it seems I cannot view the contents unless I sign up?

If you scroll up and down, you can see snippets of the articles without paying. 

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 27 April 17 17:01 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth V. Hartnett is also listed in the 1910 Springfield directory where Patrick was listed as "rem West", but Elizabeth was not listed as moving anywhere or as a widow.  She is in a number of other Springfield directories after that through the 1920's, but she was either Mrs. Elizabeth V. Hartnett or just Elizabeth V. Hartnett and was not noted to be a widow.  In the 1927 Springfield city directory, it says "rem to Washington, D.C." 

I suspect this may be a case of divorce or abandonment rather than being widowed.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 27 April 17 17:18 BST (UK) »
Elizabeth V. Hartnett is also listed in the 1910 Springfield directory where Patrick was listed as "rem West", but Elizabeth was not listed as moving anywhere or as a widow.  She is in a number of other Springfield directories after that through the 1920's, but she was either Mrs. Elizabeth V. Hartnett or just V. Hartnett and was not noted to be a widow.  In the 1927 Springfield city directory, it says "rem to Washington, D.C." 

I suspect this may be a case of divorce or abandonment rather than being widowed.
I feel you are correct shelly with your conclusions. Are these Court records available from any source - did scroll through the attachments but difficult to make out the exact proceedings.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 28 April 17 10:21 BST (UK) »
I had a look through various newspapers in Springfield (only able to view snippets) and there is a death in Hampden hospital March 6th 1918 for a Patrick Hartnett also funeral notice in Springfield Republican newspaper for Funeral to St Marys Cemetery ----ndsor Locks March 8th 1918 Anyone know possible name of this cemetery or have access to Newspapers in Springfield.

In Springfield Republican 21st July 1898 there is a trial of Patrick Hartnett & 2 others for illegal liquor selling in Worcester County North Brookfield MA.

28th March 1901 there is a mention of a Lease of American House to Patrick Hartnett.

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 28 April 17 12:59 BST (UK) »
The Massachusetts death index has a Patrick Francis Hartnett who died in Springfield in 1918.  The cemetery in question is probably in Windsor Locks, Connecticut, which is close to Springfield.

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 28 April 17 13:55 BST (UK) »
The Massachusetts death index has a Patrick Francis Hartnett who died in Springfield in 1918.  The cemetery in question is probably in Windsor Locks, Connecticut, which is close to Springfield.
Thank you shelly :)

Offline Gracie752

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Friday 28 April 17 20:51 BST (UK) »
I don’t believe we can attach articles on the look-up request board, but in addition to their wedding announcement, there were many items about smallish property-ownership cases.

In one grouping, Elizabeth claimed that some of her wedding gifts had been included in the sale of the hotel. She argued that the wedding gifts belonged to her, not her husband, and on 4 March 1913 she was awarded $80. It still went back and forth a bit. In November 1913, she was awarded an oak center-table and the defendant was awarded a brass bed, wire spring, and mattress.

Probably of most interest to you, was a 30 June 1914 petition for support by Elizabeth, who stated that her husband Patrick had deserted her and that they lived apart. She referred specifically to goods in the possession of John D. Hayes, her husband’s trustee. She asked for $5000.

In 1915, Patrick J. Hartnett entered a claim against the bankrupt estate of Mr. John D. Hayes, saying that he had given him a check for $5000. Haynes claimed the check was a gift, but Hartnett claimed that he was having trouble with his wife at the time, so he gave the money to Hayes to prevent his wife from getting it. Hartnett insisted it was to be paid back with interest. The judge refused to allow the claim.

There were a couple articles about an incident that occurred at Elizabeth’s apartment in 1915. She had sublet three rooms while she was away nursing in Palmer. Apparently the tenant wife suffered a nervous condition after police barged in, mistaking her and her husband for two persons of interest.

That Patrick Hartnett that died in 1918 in Springfield ran a bicycle repair shop and a garage.

Doesn’t sound like your guy.

Diane

Offline ballydw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Friday 28 April 17 21:22 BST (UK) »
Thank you Gracie752 for all the detailed information.  I now know that Patrick deserted his wife Elizabeth.  Was The American (hotel?) sold at this time.  Patrick seems to have "dipped his fingers in many pies".  Before Springfield he was in Brookfield MA as a Landlord of an establishment.
He may well have moved on to the garage business who knows - this Patrick death was the only one I found in Hampden that fitted- said age was 57 which would fit with his dob. If you come across any more snippets I will appreciate. Thank you rgds :) PS Patrick also had a brother Maurice/Morice/born Warren MA 1864 that I cannot locate after 1880 census Parents Maurice Hartnett Mother Johannah (Killigrew)

Offline shellyesq

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Friday 28 April 17 21:29 BST (UK) »
Given the difference in the middle name and the reference to Patrick being in New York, I wouldn't be surprised if Patrick died outside of the county or state.