Author Topic: Help required on Michael Callahan please  (Read 502 times)

Offline Cath19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help required on Michael Callahan please
« on: Thursday 27 April 17 10:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,
Could someone advise me as to where I could find a work record on Michael Callahan, who, on the attached picture, states he was a fireman. The address he gave for the return of his passport was 21 Parker Street, Charlestown, and that was in 1922. I found a passenger listing of him returning from Queenstown ,Ireland to Boston, in Sept 1922 and the address he gave was his brothers, 9 Leon Street, Roxbury so I am a bit confused ???. I cannot find any trace of him after that so was hoping that if I could find a work record, it may give me a new lead. Any help & suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in anticipation! :) :)
Cahalane,born Drishanebeg, Skibbereen , Co.Cork emigrated to Australia-changed name to Callaghan  &
USA  Callahan--name changed from Cahalane
O'Sullivan born near Loughine, Baltimore, Co.Cork
O'Connell, Ballinatona, Myross,Union Hall,
Keane/Kane, Baltimore & Castlehaven

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
Re: Help required on Michael Callahan please
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 April 17 10:34 BST (UK) »
Date of birth on the passport application is the same as this one - U.S., Social Security Applications and Claims Index, 1936-2007 - Michael Callahan - 20 September 1877 Republic of Ireland. Notes:   Jan 1937: Name listed as MICHAEL CALLAHAN. Parents - John Callahan and Mother: Elle Murphy

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Cath19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 April 17 10:59 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra, Yes you are correct and I don't seem to be able to find any information on that SSN number either. Drawing a few blanks! ;)
Thank you :)
Cahalane,born Drishanebeg, Skibbereen , Co.Cork emigrated to Australia-changed name to Callaghan  &

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 April 17 11:30 BST (UK) »
The first SSN was issued sometime in mid-November 1936 for the sole purpose of tracking the earnings histories of U.S. workers, for use in determining Social Security benefit entitlement and computing benefit levels.

It could mean Michael retired in that year and claimed some benefit - he would have been the right sort of age.  ??? 

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Cath19

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 April 17 11:33 BST (UK) »
That would make sense, although in reality he had already 4 years knocked off his age as he was really born in 1873 ;D ;D ;D

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 27 April 17 11:39 BST (UK) »
Yes, that was very common back then  ;D ;D

Sandra