Author Topic: In Stafford gaol 1881  (Read 451 times)

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • A whole lot of yam-yam, a little bit Irish n Welsh
    • View Profile
In Stafford gaol 1881
« on: Thursday 27 April 17 17:36 BST (UK) »
Hi all, could someone give me an idea of where to find info on an ancestor who I found today in Stafford gaol on the 1881 census?

His name was john Eccles, b.1853 I think in Wolverhampton. He married phoebe Ellis and in 1881 she is with their children lodging with her parents and john seems to be locked up.

How can I find out why he was in prison?

I also can't see him after that, and phoebe remarried a bit later on so he possibly died.

Thanks in advance, Lisa
Plimmer,Lees,Ward,Ellis,Childs,Lowbridge,Newbury,Bird,Miles,Collins,Hees,Jones,Dodd-Wolverhampton. Marsh-Dudley. Miles,Harris,Stroud -Drinkwater-Gloucester. Prosser,Carter,Kirby,Dundon-Abergavenny. Hees,Muller-Germany. Goodman - London. Primmer - Ashby de la zouch.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: In Stafford gaol 1881
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 April 17 17:44 BST (UK) »
You could ask the question of Stafford Records Office to see whether they have any documentation deposited with them.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 27 April 17 17:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you bumbleB ... is there any info available online do you know?
Plimmer,Lees,Ward,Ellis,Childs,Lowbridge,Newbury,Bird,Miles,Collins,Hees,Jones,Dodd-Wolverhampton. Marsh-Dudley. Miles,Harris,Stroud -Drinkwater-Gloucester. Prosser,Carter,Kirby,Dundon-Abergavenny. Hees,Muller-Germany. Goodman - London. Primmer - Ashby de la zouch.

Online BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 27 April 17 17:58 BST (UK) »
I haven't seen any, but then I haven't really looked.  :'( 

Try this:  https://www.staffsnameindexes.org.uk/default.aspx?Index=A

Or there was a previous RC thread

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=436932.0
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 27 April 17 18:01 BST (UK) »
Thanks again...I'll have a look now  :)

Offline nowornever

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 28 April 17 01:08 BST (UK) »
Stafford records office have à useful online catalogue "gateway to the past". Haven't had chance to look  for you  but I have seen quite a few 'calenders of prisoners'  at Stafford for my own research around 1865.

These are mainly for the ASSIZES records. - the lower court records do not  survive, well not for the dates I need. So it really depends on how serious the offence was. Having said that sometimes warrants for arrests are done in the Assizes for such as non payment for an illegitimate child but the case would not be heard at the Assizes.

The staff are really helpful so if you can't find exactly what you are looking for on line then, as suggested, give them a call.
Paula

Offline lisalucie

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 28 April 17 06:55 BST (UK) »
Thank you Paula...can't see anything as of yet so might give them a call then, I think he may have died either in gaol or just after release but need to keep looking.
Lisa