Author Topic: Reid/Reaich Family  (Read 3252 times)

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Reid/Reaich Family
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 29 April 17 21:15 BST (UK) »
Hi Sandra,

I think that's where the confusion came in - I think that's the wrong family. As someone previously mentioned Maggie may have remained in Scotland. I mistakenly assumed that she had gone out to Canada with her husband given that she had been out there previously. I still haven't found their deaths in Scotland but I will keep trying and see what I can find!

Greg

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 29 April 17 21:19 BST (UK) »
Yes, I realised it was repetitive of previous info which we had discounted.

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline *Sandra*

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Marie Curie
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 29 April 17 21:25 BST (UK) »
This is a possible interesting birth in Rathven (William Reid and Maggie Reaich)

Jane Murray Reid - F - 1923 - 164/ 222 - Rathven

Sandra
"We search for information, but the burden of proof is always with the thread owner"

Census information is Crown Copyright  http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 29 April 17 21:30 BST (UK) »
As a matter of fact I have a Jane Murray Reid in my tree (born in 1912). All of the surnames in Rathven (which is the registration district for Buckie) are very common so it's no surprise when you come across people with the same name.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 29 April 17 22:06 BST (UK) »
Just thinking outside the box here... but going back the 1913. 1915, and 1917 certificates i mentioned  earlier, he went from 2nd mate, to first mate, then master of "foreign going steamships only" in the merchant service.

This could mean they didn't necessarily stay in Scotland if he had a consistent foreign route, and that's why the difficulty of finding the death regs for William and Maggie.  They may have moved to the foreign port?

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 29 April 17 22:32 BST (UK) »
That's certainly a plausible explanation as to why I couldn't find them. I'm not willing to rule out that they might have emigrated as of yet, there just may be a chance that they emigrated to a place other than Canada. It would make sense if they did in fact settle in Canada given their family living there already, but I'm willing to keep my options open with this one.

Offline bbart

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Monday 01 May 17 05:43 BST (UK) »
The site http://buckieheritage.org/old-snippets/ has all sorts of Reids, Reaich, Farquars, etc but not William Alexander and Maggie that I could find.

I had better luck at http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk using the search terms merchant seamen. It directed me to Merchant seamen registers 1918-1941 which are at findmypast.
Not only was William there, but it had a picture of him!  The form itself is called a CR10, and unfortunately on his, as well as all the other ones I looked at, the next of kin line was never filled out. It is him though, as his birthdate and place match perfectly.

It does give his discharge number, and after a lot of reading, I have found that the discharge number isn't a discharge from service, but the lifetime number used when discharged from one ship to move to another ship. As in, every time they sailed a different ship, they would use the same discharge number on the paperwork for their lifetime.

Somewhere at http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and various forums, I read that there are files that you can track people by this discharge number, but many files have been lost over time.  You may want to ask the Archives about that, or perhaps try asking on the forum at http://www.shipsnostalgia.com/showthread.php?t=29807  (look at the first reply, might be some help in there).

Another lead to follow might be the recent death (2016) of a James Reid.  I found him looking through Scotlandspeople's deaths of Reids with a mother with a maiden name of Reaich, and he was the only hit. He was 93, and death registered in Elgin Moray.  Maybe you can find an obit; I had no luck, but admittedly didn't really know where all to find Scottish obits.  I also tried to find a birth for him, but there was far too many, with several in Rathven, same place that William and Maggie married, if memory serves.

If you can't access the file with his picture, pm me an email address if you would like to see it.

Offline Gregyboy

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 09:05 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Many thanks for your help so far, it has been very helpful and I very much appreciate it.

As for the websites regarding Buckie, I'm aware of all of them and use them regularly. The Buckie Heritage website is quite useful and I have been to the centre in Buckie itself.

As a matter of fact I already have that James Reid in my tree. He is related to the Reaich side but not directly. As for obituaries in Scotland, I use the Press and Journal so I've actually found that obituary before.

I'm currently looking through findmypast and all of the relevant websites pertaining to the different countries.

Thanks,

Greg