Author Topic: my 1881 brickwall  (Read 6049 times)

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: my 1881 brickwall
« Reply #54 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 12:44 BST (UK) »
I think Catherine had died as there are a couple of Catherine Hughes deaths recorded for Manchester in 1864 and 65.

He had Robert and John with Catherine and all the other children were from his second marriage to Annie Gatenby.

I've spent hours going through the 1841, 51 and 61 censuses on both Ancestry and Findmypast trying to find John or Peter Hughes either a joiner or a coppersmith and the only one I can find is a Peter Hughes a house joiner on the 1861 an 1871 living Oldham Road, New Cross and Peter  gives his address as Oldham Road on his marriage to Annie Gatenby.

Something that has been bothering me about Peter's marriage to Catherine is why if he lived in New Cross/Ancoats did he marry at All Saint's, Newton Heath? Catherine lived on Hulme Hall Lane and there are lots of churches closer to her home. I appreciate they may have been working or living close to the church but their parents weren't. That's the certificate that I think has incorrect information for some reason. Maybe Peter wasn't as old as he says.

I appreciate that the 1851 is incomplete and that Peter may not have been born in 1841 but there has to be a way to find his birth somehow. I've tried Peter/Peter John/John Peter with both fathers names and there doesn't seem to be a record of his birth or Baptism.

Offline lancsann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 17:12 BST (UK) »
still have not found Robert's birth in the GRO index with mmn Colley but have found William Henry who was 17 months old in 1871 not 17 days, born December quarter 1869

Offline aggiebagwash

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: Tuesday 23 May 17 19:31 BST (UK) »
I've found two births at the GRO for a Peter Hughes circa 1840.

1st quarter 1840 MMN Gollaher ( could be Gallagher) and 2nd quarter 1841 MMN Dugdale.

However I can't find a marriage for either of them.

One step forward and two back.

Back to the search.