Author Topic: McLanachan/McLanighan/Macflanachan and Strang  (Read 1291 times)

Offline Craigellachie2019

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: McLanachan/McLanighan/Macflanachan and Strang
« Reply #9 on: Monday 01 May 17 08:23 BST (UK) »
Hi again, based on some information above and on Ancestry, I searched for a death of Mathew on Scotlandspeople.  I had a lot of trouble, but eventually found one in 1856 which tied in with a tree on Ancestry, however it doesn't help terribly much to determine if this is my Mathew.  No wife's name. 'Married' is all it says. I haven't been able to find the 1841 census mentioned in the post above, so no doubt will have to find that through Scotlandspeople.  On Ancestry I did find an 1851 census, but Mathew's wife is Elizabeth -  was not totally disregarding it - so I tried looking for a death of Margaret on Scotlandspeople - nothing.  Also tried for a marriage for Mathew - nothing.  I have tried different spellings and using wildcards and variations etc.  I have also tried leaving out first names - and using different churches.  Still nothing.  Can anyone throw any light on where I may be going wrong - unless Margaret left Mathew and went back to Ireland and Elizabeth wasn't a new wife but a partner - or the wrong family altogether.  Anyhow, here is the clip of the Scotlandspeople death for the Mathew I did find.
Thanks again in advance for any help.
Anne
Scotland: Stewart, Smith, Edward, Barron, Macdonald, Sinclair, Millar/Miller, Ross, Salmon(d), Cuthel, Cuthill, Macalister, McAlaster, McAllister, Forsyth, Haddow, Todd, Aitken, Gartshore, Mackie, Strang
England: Lucas, Parkinson, Nicholls
Ireland: Keys, McAuliffe, Achilles, Fenner/Fannin, Halpin
Germany: Achilles, Bartels, Barthold, Pralow, Schreiber, Kloth, Cords

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 01 May 17 10:55 BST (UK) »
Hmmm.

If he is the one in the 1841 census, he has only aged 4 years between 1841 and 1856. However I don't see any match in 1851, other than Mathew McLanchen, 59, in Selkirk. On the other hand, this Mathew is transcribed in FreeCEN as Mathew McLauchlan, unmarried 29, farm labourer, born Ireland. So if you think there is any chance that this is 'your' Matthew, you would need to look at the original to check his age. (IMO he has nothing to do with your one, but no stone unturned and all that.)
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 01 May 17 12:20 BST (UK) »

I can’t see the parents again in 1851, but there’s a marriage between a Margaret McClanachan and a William Murray in Barony on 2 Mar 1845, which could be the sister.

From Ruth's info, I thought this may be a possible entry for Margaret married to William Murray. From 1851:

William Green 29 Blacksmith b. Ireland
Margaret Green 29 b. Ireland
Margaret Green 5 b. St Quivox, Ayrshire

Address: Low Road, Whitllets, Newton on Ayr

There are these two possible births of children for them:

Mary 1856 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQW4-GGM
Rose 1859 https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:FQ3V-8BX

Struggling so far to find them in 1861....

... I had a lot of trouble, but eventually found one in 1856 which tied in with a tree on Ancestry, however it doesn't help terribly much to determine if this is my Mathew.  No wife's name. 'Married' is all it says...

Unfortunately 1856 is one of those years where spouse's name was not included on the cert, just marital status  :-\

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk