Author Topic: Premature Burials...  (Read 965 times)

Online Wexflyer

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Not Crown Copyright
    • View Profile
Premature Burials...
« on: Sunday 30 April 17 05:51 BST (UK) »
Inquiries about "premature baptisms" are a regular feature on genealogy websites, so I just thought I would point point that yesterday I encountered a "premature burial". Burial register has date of death two days before the civil registration date..
BRENNANx2 Davidstown/Taghmon,Ballybrennan; COOPER St.Helens;CREAN Raheennaskeagh/Ballywalter;COSGRAVE Castlebridge?;CULLEN Lady's Island;CULLETON Forth Commons;CURRAN Hillbrook, Wic;DOYLE Clonee/Tombrack;FOX Knockbrandon; FURLONG Moortown;HAYESx2 Walsheslough/Wex;McGILL Litter;MORRIS Forth Commons;PIERCE Ladys Island;POTTS Bennettstown;REDMOND Gerry; ROCHEx2 Wex; ROCHFORD Ballysampson/Ballyhit;SHERIDAN Moneydurtlow; SINNOTT Wex;SMYTH Gerry/Oulart;WALSH Kilrane/Wex; WHITE Tagoat area

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: Premature Burials...
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 April 17 06:17 BST (UK) »
Shocked and flummoxed and I wonder ....  could the registrar have confused date of death and date of burial?

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 April 17 09:43 BST (UK) »
My great-great-grandfather's death announcement was in the newspaper before (according to death certificate) he died  ;D
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline medpat

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 April 17 10:30 BST (UK) »
The person could have been buried soon after death and the registration could have been done later. A doctor's cert to say a natural death may have been good enough to bury them. Could travelling a distance to register have caused a delay?

I know someone who's mother died last year. He phoned the registrars to be told he couldn't have a appointment for 8 days that's 3 days longer than the legal requirement to register it.  :o

:)
GEDmatch M157477

Offline Sinann

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 April 17 10:57 BST (UK) »
You don't need a GRO issued death cert to have the funeral in Ireland just a doctors cert, so it would very easy to be buried before the date on the official cert.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 April 17 12:18 BST (UK) »
Without seeing what we're talking about it's difficult to say.
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline hallmark

• ~
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 April 17 12:22 BST (UK) »
Deaths must be registered as soon as possible after the death and no later than 3 months.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/death/after_a_death/death_cert.html
Give a man a record and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to research, and you feed him for a lifetime.

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 April 17 12:38 BST (UK) »
According to the death certificate of my Mum's maternal grandfather, he died one week after he was buried!

As some wag commented, it must have been an uncomfortable week for him  ::)   ::)   ::)   ::)

All this happened in rural NSW, 1870s.

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 April 17 12:40 BST (UK) »
The Registrar wouldn’t normally be interested in the date of burial since it’s not recorded on Irish certificates. He would normally just record the information the informant gave. If that date of death was wrong (and information on death certificates does frequently contain mistakes) then so be it. 

A doctor or coroner’s certificate to register a death was only required in Ireland from the 1890s. Prior to that you just went in and registered it, much as you would do for a birth. No paperwork required. No verification procedure.

The other possibility is that the information in the burial register is wrong. Our local Minister completes his registers in batches, some several weeks after the event. There is scope with that sort of system to make a mistake of a day or two.
Elwyn