Author Topic: Cullompton Town Cemetery  (Read 987 times)

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cullompton Town Cemetery
« on: Sunday 30 April 17 08:24 BST (UK) »
Many years ago, long before I was interested in Family History, I attended the burial of my grandfather at Cullompton Town Cemetery.

Recently with the help of Cullompton Town Council, I have been provided with the row & plot number of his grave along with the graves of other members of the extended family, but unfortunately the council do not have a plan of the cemetery to enable a confident search for the plots in question.

If I were to visit the cemetery in the future it would be at such short notice as to make an appointment with council officers impractical.

Do any of you reading this message, have any knowledge of how the cemetery is laid out and would be able to provide details of how to find rows LXI & LXXIII?

JohnG_Swansea.

Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline terryleaman

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Cullompton Town Cemetery
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 April 17 22:18 BST (UK) »
Sorry don't know of a plan, but Devon FHS have photographed thr registers and names are included in the surname search, with details available to members in the members' area and images are available to visitors to Tree House, in Exeter.
Hooper- Torquay & Exbourne
Stevenson- Plymouth & Lincolnshire
Vivian- Cornwood & London

General Torquay local history- OPC for Torquay

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 07:46 BST (UK) »
Sorry don't know of a plan, but Devon FHS have photographed thr registers and names are included in the surname search, with details available to members in the members' area and images are available to visitors to Tree House, in Exeter.
I thank you for your reply, but have to admit I don't fully understand the content.  I already know the names of the family members I have an interest in, and Cullompton Town Council have been very helpful in providing the plot numbers that my ancestors were buried in, so it is not clear to me why I need to contact Devon FHS.

What I have asked them for is a plan showing the layout of the cemetery, including 'Row' numbers,  they can send me which they are unable to do, although they have offered additional help by appointment.  Should I ever be in a situation to be passing Cullompton it will almost certainly be at very short notice, making an advance appointment a bit risky.  So I am looking for anyone with local knowledge who might be able to help with a description of the layout of the cemetery.

Having said that, I thank you for your reply.
Your National Flag/ Ensign can be added to the left-hand side of every post by using your Profile Settings
Base Project: Benjamin D. POPE, (Railway Constructor, Natal) b: 1853 Stretham, Ely, d: 1928 Bath, Som't
Current Project(2018): Cox, Somerset >>> Osborn, Natal >>> Broughton, Canada >>> three Daughters, Natal. Resolved in the Canada Forum another success for Rootschat.

Offline cemetery friends

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 02 May 17 08:49 BST (UK) »
Two possible clues in helping to establish rows etc. [1] Use the CWGC website which gives the plot number and the grave see http://www.cwgc.org/find-war-dead.aspx?cpage=1&sort=name&order=asc
and then compare that data to the plot numbers you have, even if it gives a negative answer it is a start [2] use the photographs on the Find A Grave website https://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=cr&CRid=2205182 and perhaps ask the cemetery office to give plot references to one or two in that way you have a marker to set yourself going.
It is very strange that they do not have a map as I cannot envisage undertakers/ grave diggers/ maintenance men trawling around for an hour or so looking for a particular grave each time they visit the cemetery. Why not ask politely the method they [the council staff] use to find a grave? Contact a local undertaker [eg Co-op] to ask how they trace a grave there.
Perhaps depending on how important it is to you, the answer may be to set aside a day and meet the cemetery official as has been offered.
Avery [Wembury]
Skilton [Hooe, Turnchapel, Plymstock and Coxside Plymouth]
Williams [Plymstock/Oreston]
Maritime subjects inc Titanic, HMS Hardy, HMS Thetis [submarine]
UK cemetery conservation
Cholera
Victorian social history

Offline JohnG_Swansea

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 03 May 17 08:12 BST (UK) »
Thank you "Cemetery Friends"

Your suggestion about visiting the CWGC website has provided eight location references which when used with the visual sighting of their traditional head stones could well be helpful in identifying row numbers.  This should then as you comment provide a starting point for finding the two rows where our Grandparents & Great Grandparents family graves are located.  Thank you.