Author Topic: A census puzzle starring the families - HOWE and RIDLEY  (Read 2338 times)

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
A census puzzle starring the families - HOWE and RIDLEY
« on: Sunday 30 April 17 21:21 BST (UK) »
And hello Rootschat - I am back again - Long time no see or hear. For those of you who dont know me, I joined up here at Rootschat, way back around 2005 and have been popping in and out over the last few years whenever I have a genealogical puzzle to work out, because you people are just SO GOOD at working out my puzzles  :)

OK This time I have Walworth (or Wallwork), Howe and Ridley families that are all distantly connected by marriage to my family, which is why I am doing this. These families are living in Newcastle-on-Tyne in Northumberland.  I am going to post the links to the census details on Family Search - I hope that is acceptable.

In the 1841 census Lydia Wallwork (Later called Walworth) was living in Newcastle with her family and was aged 7 - no problems there.  https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7WF-1FY

In 1851, Lydia was 17 years old and working alongside her mother Jane and her sister Mary Jane as servants in the home of a man named Thomas Ridley - in Newcastle. Her father Charles Walworth (he was a Mariner) was visiting on that same day. Thomas was listed as a Glass manufacturer. He was also widowed with one son named John.
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGXW-1S8

In 1861, Lydia married Thomas Howe (possibly from Kilrea in Northern Ireland) and gave birth to a daughter Blanche Ridley Howe in 1864. When Blanche grew up, she moved to Australia but that is not relevant to this story.

In the 1861 census Thomas Ridley was still listed as a widower. His married son John was still living with him as was his servant Jane Walworth and her Mariner husband Charles. I dont know who John was married to at this point. https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7FT-JJ7

It is the 1871 census where things start getting confusing. Thomas Ridley is still a widower and is now described as both an Alderman (on the city Council maybe?) and a Glass Bottle Manufacturer. His married son John still lives with him as does his servant Jane Walworth and her mariner husband Charles.  But there are now 2 new names. A new servant named Jane Carins (or Cairns - they seem to be interchangeable) and a 10 year old girl named Lidia Ridley. Is she John's daughter? I don't know.  If you go back to the 1841 census for the Wallwork family, there is a man named Thomas Carins living with them, and also what looks like his 4 year old son Matthew Carins. If Jane Walworks maiden name was Carins, then Jane Carins (the new servant) could be a niece. Who were her parents?
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V5BX-72G

In the 1881 census Thomas Ridley is now listed as a Magistrate, an Alderman and a Glass  Manufacturer. Lydia (Is she his grand daughter?) is now his ward. John has gone - possibly died. The Walworks have also gone. Have they died or just moved out? https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:Q271-14GC

I also eventually found Thomas Ridley back in the 1841 census through his son John. There is a second son named Henry. This was the only census in which I found Thomas to be listed as married. If his mother in law was living with him, her surname was Magdny - I'm sure that spelling is wrong!! And there is also another young lady named Margaret Magdny working as a servant in this household. Occupations are not listed, nor are relationships so we dont know for sure how they are connected. Who was Thomas Ridley married to?
https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7WF-YP3

And the reason I am asking all this - is because Blanche Ridley Howe was given the middle name of Ridley as was her brother Thomas Ridley Howe. But their parents were Lydia Walworth (Walwork) from Newcastle, and Thomas Howe from Northern Ireland. No obvious Ridley connection.

Would children have been given the names of people who were benefactors but not biologically related? After all Thomas Ridely employed Lydia's mother (Jane) as a servant for many many years.

If anyone can find a legal (Marriage) or biological connection between these two families, I would love to hear about it and see the details.

There is also a family tree for the Walworth (Walwork) & Carins family posted under the Family tree section of Family search. I don't know accurate it is. You do have to register but otherwise it is free. https://familysearch.org/tree/pedigree/MQSW-XKZ/portrait

If anyone can help answer some of my queries, I would be very happy.

Thank you.

Burrow Digger

BURROW, BICKHAM, EVANS, SULLEY, STONE - Devon
STEPHENS, MALLET, ADAMS - Cornwall
HANCOCK , BUSSON - Somerset
MCCALLUM, MCDIARMID, MCNEILL - Argyle, Scotland
WALLS, SUTHERLAND, SIMPSON - Orkney, Scotland
FAIRBAIRN - Fife, Scotland
THOMPSON - Aberdeen, Scotland

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A census puzzle starring the families - HOWE and RIDLEY
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 30 April 17 22:13 BST (UK) »
No Lydia Ridley birth registration, but this one fits

HOWE, LYDIA        
mmn WALWORTH
q2 1860 NEWCASTLE UPON TYNE  Volume 10B  Page 24

Lydia is daughter of Thomas and Lydia on 1861 census. Not sure why she becomes a Ridley!

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 30 April 17 22:24 BST (UK) »
There are possible baptisms for John and Henry with parents Thomas and Elizabeth Ridley. Likely marriages to Elizabeth French or Elizabeth Chambers. A number of Ancestry trees say French

Offline keyboard86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 30 April 17 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hi a Thomas Ridley married an Elizabeth French 18th December 1830 Newcastle All Saints
Keyboard86

;D But then again a Thomas Ridley married an Elizabeth Chambers 11th March 1830 Newcastle All Saints
Pelly/Pelley/Kingsbury/Challis/Nalder/Rochester/Raydenbow

UK Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline glenclare

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 April 17 23:22 BST (UK) »
John Ridley 1861 census says unmarried.

John dies Q3 1878 in Newcastle age 46

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 April 17 23:33 BST (UK) »
I told you, you guys were good!!!

2 possible marriages for Thomas Ridley and really no way to tell which one is correct...

A death date for John Ridley which is good, but we still don't know who the young girl Lydia Ridley is.

A great start so far, thanks guys.

Offline glenclare

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 April 17 23:53 BST (UK) »
According to Thomas Ridley's will (It is online), he adopted Lydia Howe.
She benefitted in his will and it gives the same address for Thomas Ridley and Lydia.

Lydia marries as Lydia Howe in St Andrews, Newcastle 13th April 1883 to Edward Merrick Carlisle.
She is referred to as Lydia Carlisle, wife of Edward in the will.

Offline Burrow Digger

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 01 May 17 00:07 BST (UK) »
And you just solved a mystery for me.

Lydia Howe, born in 1860, was not christened until 1863 at the same time as her younger (possibly half) brother Charles Howe. If Thomas Howe and Lydia did not get married until 1861, then either Lydia was born out of wedlock and is Thomas Howes daughter, or she was Thomas Ridley's daughter and initially raised by Thomas Howe.

https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:V511-KDP
1871 census - Lydia Howe the daughter is not with the family even though she was 10 years old. Did she go and live with her biological father?

Edited to add - Glencare's details - Lydia was "Adopted" - Is this a euphemism for adopting a biological bastard daughter?? :)

Is there a link to Thomas Ridley's will?

Offline glenclare

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile