Author Topic: Bridget Collier/Grimwood perhaps born Mayhew 1700-1710 WANTISDEN area  (Read 921 times)

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
My ancestor Bridget Collier of Wantisden married Thomas Grimwood or Grimeard of Easton in 1735 in Bredfield.

No idea why they didn't marry in one of their own parishes, but the marriage entry does not record their marital status:

'Thomas Grimwood of Easton and Bridget Collier of Wandisden [Wantisden] were married Oct 1st 1735'.

I have been unable to find a baptism for a Bridget Collier.

However there is a marriage highlighted to me in a previous rootschat post in Wantisden:

'John Collier singleman and Bridgett Mayhew singlewoman both of this parish were marryed (by Banns) October 6th 1725'.

It would therefore seem to me that Bridget Collier was probably John Collier's widow who married Thomas Grimwood as her second husband.

However what I would like are some second eyes and help with is trying to see if this is indeed the case.

Are there any baptisms of Collier children in Wantisden and a burial for a John Collier before 1735?

Also are there any baptisms of a Bridget Mayhew [or perhaps Maihew] around 1700-1710 in the area?

I have seen that a Bridget Mayhew wife of 'Mat' was buried in 1714. Could this be a relative? Maybe even her mother?

Any assistance or ideas anyone could offer me would be gratefully received!

Thank you,
Jon 

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Bridget Collier/Grimwood perhaps born Mayhew 1700-1710 WANTISDEN area
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 07 May 17 14:07 BST (UK) »
Bridget GRIMWOOD of Easton was buried at Tunstall 19 Oct 1759 - Tunstall is the neighbouring parish to Wantisden so is it possible that Tunstall registers might reveal more but it certainly gives some credibility to your line of thinking that they may have had some association with that area.

Two children of a Bridget & Thomas Grimwood were also buried in Tunstall. Elizabeth in April 1739 & Philip in Dec 1743.

There are Mayhew burials in Tunstall starting 1732 but no sign of a John Collier burial between 1725 & 1735 in any parish round and about that would fit the bill recorded on the Suffolk Burial Index.

K

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 07 May 17 21:54 BST (UK) »
The tree is tree 14 of the Grimwood/ Grimwade resource I mentioned recently on Rootschat. The link is      http://www.onsgrimwood.esy.es/tree14/d1.htm
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Offline hookleg

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 07 May 17 21:59 BST (UK) »
Meant to say that there is info on seven subsequent generations of Thomas and Bridget's family, right up to early 1900s.
Burt, Cockrill, Craske, Debenham, Double, Grimwade, Grimwood, Hilder, Mayhew, Ray. All from  West Suffolk around the Bury St. Edmunds area.
Simpson, Pittendreigh, Arthur.   Aberdeenshire

Offline jonwicken

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 May 17 15:37 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Keziah. I hadn't realised until your post that Bridget died at one place but was buried at another. This is interesting in terms of the finances of the family as this must have cost more money so adds something to their financial situation I think. I wonder if other family members had historically been buried there? More to investigate.

And thanks too, hookleg. Maggie of Grimwood ONS and I are having lots of interesting email exchanges at the moment but as the Colliers are not in the immediate Grimwood line I thought I would see if anyone here might be able to offer some new ideas from those Maggie and I have been talking talking about regarding Bridget.

The Grimwood ONS is a remarkable resource and one we are very lucky to have.

Thanks again, both.

Jon